Scrape Your Plate Day... Love Food, Hate Waste!
- To raise awareness of food waste and composting
- Held every semester in all the Dining Centers at CU, during lunch & dinner
- Compost bins are placed at every trey return and staffed by CU Recycling
- Students are asked to scrape any remaining food scraps off their trays into the designated compost bins
- Compost bins are weighed at the end of both lunch and dinner
- Results are posted in the Dining Centers after the event
As students observe their own leftovers contributing to the overflowing compost bins, the intention is that they will internalize these implications of taking too much food - it ends up in a bin of waste. Many students feel inspired after this event to take only what they will eat and reduce their contributions to food waste in the CU dining halls.