ECenter FAQs

Where can I pick up my RTD College Pass?

If you are a new student living off campus, you can pick up your RTD College Pass at the Buff One Card Office in the C4C. If you are a freshmen student living in a residence hall, you will receive your RTD College pass during move-in. 

For more information, visit 

I lost my RTD College Pass. Can I get another one?

Yes. You can purchase a replacement RTD College Pass Card for a fee 10 dollars. Pick up your bus pass along with your Buff OneCard in the Campus Card Office in room N180 in the Center for Community building. Phone number is 303-492-0355

For more information, visit 

Why isn't my RTD College Pass working?

Update as of August 1, 2014:  If you are experiencing problems with your bus pass, please be patient as RTD has reset the expiration date on thousands of cards and their system takes a couple of days to sync everything together.  The more often you ride the faster the system will recognize your card.

You card may be inactive. If you are unsure of the status of your RTD College Pass, please send an e-mail to with your name and the 8 digit code that starts with 00 below your photo on the bus pass. Your card's status will be checked and confirmed.

For more information, visit 

I'm not enrolled in classes this semester, but I want to keep riding the bus. Can I buy a pass?

If you are taking a semester off and are officially enrolled in the Stay Connected or Time Off program, you can purchase a bus pass. Currently the pass is $85 a semester and you can purchase it from the Buff OneCard office in C4C. If you have graduated or withdrawn from classes please contact RTD to purchase a bus pass.

For more information, visit  

Am I eligible to waive the RTD College Pass fee?

The College Pass program is a mandatory fee that was passed by the student body in 1991 and again in 2009. However, if you already have a valid EcoPass, a valid military pass, live outside of the RTD service area, or have a disability that prevents you from using public transit you can get a refund to your bus program fee. For more information view the Student Bus & Bicycle Program Fee Waiver Policy here. If you meet the qualifications, fill out this request form and we will verify your eligibity and process your fee waiver.

For more information, visit  

When does my Spring 2014 RTD College Pass expire?

Spring bus passes are scheduled to suspend on May 26 and reactivate for the Fall term on August 1. RTD says they will be able to suspend the 20,000+ bus pass cards for non-fee paying students over the summer.

If you would like to retain your bus pass, you would pay the $85 optional summer bus pass fee at the Buff OneCard office in C4C. If you are enrolled in Summer classes and pay the standard fee package, your pass will remain active.

Where can I find RTD maps and schedules?

The Bike Station, the Rec Center and the UMC, to name a few places on campus. Look in building lobbies for more RTD map cases. Or you can find any schedule on the RTD website.

Where is the Bike Station?

We now have two Bike Stations to better serve you. The original and busiest station is located just East of the UMC, between the Visual Arts Building and Euclid Autopark. Hours are Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm. The newest station (closed over the summer) is the Folsom Bike Station and it's located SW of the Engineering Buildind and NW of LEEDS School of Business.

For more information about the Bike Stations, click here

Where do I register my bike?

Either Bike Station can help you out. It doesn't cost you anything additional and allows you free access to our mechanics and tools. Furthermore, it proves ownership of your bike, is required,  and works as a theft deterrent. Just bring your bike with you and we'll walk you through the quick and simple process. For an easier registration visit, fill out the forms and visit us at your convenience to pick up your registration decal.

How do I rent out a bike?

We offer 2 day Buff Bike Rentals and Semester Bike Rentals as well. 

Buff Bikes are available for students and employees to rent for free. The bikes are single speed cruiser bikes with coaster brakes perfect for riding around campus, riding to lunch or attending an off-campus work meeting.  Buff Bikes are available for rent during regular bike station hours. The Buff Bike Rental Program is currently closed until Mid-February. Fore more information about the Buff Bike rental program, click here.

The Semester Bike Rental Program provides students, faculty, and staff with a gently used but newly tuned bike on a semester by semester basis. The program charges a $30 rental fee (non-refundable) and a $100 deposit (refundable). If you return the bike in the same condition we gave it to you, then you receive your deposit in full! You may renew your rental for a second semester at a cost of only $10. For more information about the Semester Bike Rental Program, click here.

How do I know when the Ski Bus is running?

The Ski Bus runs from November through March on multiple dates. For a full schedule of dates and destinations for 2014-2015, click here. For more information, click here or call 303-900-2761.

Where can I purchase Ski Bus tickets?

Tickets are available online with credit card through or you can just show up morning of trip and pay cash for a stand-by ticket. For more information, click here or call 303-900-2761.

What can I recycle?

Click here for a list of common ACCEPTABLE and UNACCEPTABLE items. 

Where can I recycle on campus?

Click here for a brief explanation of how to recycle in certain areas on campus.

How do I properly recycle this special material?

Click here for a brief guide to "Hard to Recycle" items on campus.

Can we recycle items from our office clean out?

For large amounts of recyclables from office purges and special collections, please call Facilities Management at 303-492-5321 in advance to arrange for delivery of additional containers.

What can I compost?

A list of acceptable compostable materials can be found here

Where can I compost on campus?

Composting collections continue to expand at CU Boulder. Here is a list of the locations we are capturing compost on campus.

Can I get these documents shredded?

Click here for CU Recycling's Shredding Service Request form. For more information about the Shredding Service, as well as details on pick up arrangements, click here.

Who can I talk to about a missed collection in my building?

If there has been a missed collection in your building, please call Facilities Management at 303-492-5321.

How can I get a SCORE visit?

To sign up for a free energy assessment, click here. For more information about the SCORE program, visit their web page here

If you have any questions or comments please contact Michelle Gabrieloff-Parish, the Environmental Center’s Energy & Climate Justice Program Manager at or 303-492-3229.


How can I get more involved with the CU Environmental Center?

There are many ways to get involved with The Environmental Center! You can explore our website to get more information about the many different programs, clubs, and events that the E-Center hosts. Please feel free to call us at 303-492-8308 or send us an email at for any questions or comments.

You are also welcome come by our office in UMC 355! We would love to meet you and talk with you about how you can get plugged in!

Sign up here for a general monthly update email from the CU Environmental Center!

If you're interested in volunteering, you can sign up for our Weekly Volunteer Opportunities Update email here.

For a list of E-Center/Sustainability Events, you can view our online calendar, or sign up for our Weekly Events email.