Director of Blueprints Initiative
Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence
Institute of Behavioral Science
University of Colorado Boulder
1440 15th Street
Boulder, CO 80302
Phone: (303) 492-2137
- M.A. 1989, Sociology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
- B.A. 1986, Sociology, University of Texas, San Antonio, TX
- Grad. Certificate 2006, Gerontology, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO
Sharon has been a researcher at the University of Colorado Boulder for 25 years. She has helped to facilitate multiple facets of work involved in conducting a major longitudinal, national sample to collect data on juvenile delinquency. Research, using this survey, includes articles in the areas of marital violence, drug use, and the effects of adolescent employment on delinquency.
During the last 20 years, her major role at the Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence at the University has been as the Director of the Blueprints for Healthy Youth Development initiative (formerly Blueprints for Violence Prevention). She has examined the evaluations of numerous violence prevention programs and has had major input into the selection of the Blueprints programs. She is a co-author or contributing author on the twelve Blueprints books, as well as the volume editor of each book, and the co-editor of the Blueprints series. She provided the direction and management for two past Blueprints dissemination projects to replicate the Blueprints programs in multiple sites nationwide. She was the PI on a project funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to replicate and evaluate two of the Blueprints promising programs. She is the PI on a corporate-funded grant that disseminates and conducts process evaluation for the LifeSkills Training program in 15 states. Information and research from the Blueprints initiative includes nine articles, three book chapters, two bulletins, two evaluation reports, and a monograph. She received the "Science to Practice" Award from the Society for Prevention Research in 2008.
- Mihalic, S., Fagan, A., & Argamaso, S. (in press). Blueprints for Violence Prevention Replication and Evaluation of Life Skills Training. Implementation Science.
- Mihalic, S. (2007). Social learning theory and family violence. In N.A. Jackson (Editor), Encyclopedia of Domestic Violence. New York: Routledge.
- Mihalic, S., et al. (2006). Blueprints for Violence Prevention. In Serious delinquency: An anthology. Los Angeles, CA: Roxbury.
- Mihalic, S. (in press). A social learning theory model of marital violence. Reprint for The International Library of Criminology, Criminal Justice and Penology – second series. Hampshire, United Kingdom: Ashgate Publishing Limited.
- Mihalic, S. (2004). The importance of implementation fidelity. Emotional & Behavioral Disorders In Youth, 4, 83-105.
- Elliott, D., & Mihalic, S. (2004). Issues in disseminating and replicating effective prevention programs. Prevention Science, 5, 47-53.
- Mihalic, S., & Aultman-Bettridge, T. (2004). A guide to effective school-based prevention programs: Early childhood education. In William L. Turk (ed.), School crime and policing. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Mihalic, S., & Aultman-Bettridge, T. (2004). A guide to effective school-based prevention programs: Environmentally focused programs. In William L. Turk (ed.), School crime and policing. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Mihalic, S., & Irwin, K. (2003). Blueprints for Violence Prevention: From research to real world settingsBFactors influencing the successful replication of model programs. Youth Violence and Juvenile Justice, 1, 1-23.
- Fagan, A., & Mihalic, S. (2003). Strategies for enhancing the adoption of school-based prevention programs: Lessons learned from the Blueprints for Violence Prevention replications of the Life Skills Training Program. Journal of Community Psychology, 31, 235-253, 20.
- Huizinga, D., & Mihalic, S. (2003). Preventing juvenile delinquency. In H. Kury, & J. Obergfell-Fuchs (Eds.), Crime prevention new approaches. Germany: Weisser Ring.
- Mihalic, S., Fagan, A., Irwin, K., Ballard, D., & Elliott, D. (2002). Blueprints for Violence Prevention replications: Factors for implementation success. Boulder, CO: University of Colorado, Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence.
- Mihalic, S., Irwin, K., Elliott, D., Fagan, A., & Hansen, D. (2001). Blueprints for Violence Prevention(NCJ 187079). Washington DC: U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
- Menard, S., & Mihalic, S. (2001). The tripartite conceptual framework in adolescence and adulthood: Evidence from a national sample. Journal of Drug Issues, 31, 905-938.
- Menard, S., Mihalic, S., & Huizinga, D. (2001). Drugs and Crime Revisited. Justice Quarterly, 18, 269-299.
- Mihalic, S. (1999, April). Blueprints for Violence Prevention. Corrections Today, 28-30.
- Contributing Author (and volume editor) on the twelve books, Blueprints for Violence Prevention. Elliott, D.S. (Ed.) (1997). Blueprints for Violence Prevention (Vols. 1-12). Boulder, CO: Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence, Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado.
- Mueller, J., & Mihalic, S. (1999). Blueprints: A violence prevention initiative (OJJDP Fact Sheet #110). Washington DC: U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
- Mihalic, S.W., & Elliott, D. (1997). Short and long-term consequences of adolescent work. Youth and Society, 28(4), 464-498.
- Mihalic, S.W., & Elliott, D. (1997). A social learning theory model of marital violence. Journal of Family Violence, 12(1), 21-47.
- Mihalic, S.W., & Elliott, D. (1997). If violence is domestic, does it really count? Journal of Family Violence, 12(3), 293-311.
- Wofford (Mihalic), S., Elliott, D., & Menard, S. (1994). Continuities in marital violence. Journal of Family Violence, 9(3), 195-255.
- Menard, S., Elliott, D., & Wofford (Mihalic), S. (1993). Social control theories in developmental perspective. Studies on Crime and Crime Prevention: Annual Review, 2, 69-87.
- Elliott, D., Morse, B., & Wofford (Mihalic), S. (1993). Final report: In-Vehicle BAC test devices as a deterrent to DUI. Washington, DC: NIAAA.
- Rogers, R., & Wofford (Mihalic), S. (1989). Life expectancy in less developed countries: Socioeconomic development or public health? Journal of Biosocial Science, 21, 245-252.
Revised: April 23, 2007