Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence
Institute of Behavioral Science
University of Colorado Boulder
1440 15th Street
Boulder, CO 80302
Phone: (303) 492-9046
- Ph.D. 2005, Sociology, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO
- B.A. 1989, Political Theory, James Madison College, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- Director, Center for the Study and Prevention Violence, Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado Boulder, 2012 - Present.
- Director, Adams County Youth Initiative, Adams 12 Five Star Schools, 2007 - 2012.
- Research Associate, Children, Youth and Environments Center for Research and Design, College of Architecture and Planning, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 2005 - 2007.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Center for the Study and Prevention Violence, Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado, 2000 - 2005.
- Director, Gulfton Youth Development Program, Neighborhood Centers Inc., Houston, Texas, 1996 - 1999.
- Regional Field Coordinator, Texans' War on Drugs, Houston, Texas, 1995 - 1996.
- Anthamatten, Peter, Brink, Lois, Lampe, Sarah, Greenwood, Emily, Kingston, Beverly and Nigg, Claudio. (2011). Assessing Urban Design Strategies to Encourage Schoolyard Use. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity.
- Kingston, Beverly. (2011). Social Disorganization Theory and Adolescent Development. In Encyclopedia of Adolescence ed, Roger Levesque. New York, New York: Springer.
- Brink, Lois, Nigg, Claudio, Lampe, Sarah, Kingston, Beverly, Mootz, Andrew, and van Vliet, Willem. (2010). Influence of Schoolyard Renovations on Children's Physical Activity: The Learning Landscape Program. American Journal of Public Health, 100.
- Kingston, Beverly, Huizinga, Dave, and Elliott, Delbert (2009). A Test of Social Disorganization Theory in High-Risk Urban Neighborhoods. Youth and Society 41:53-79.
- Kingston, Beverly, Wridt, Pamela, Chawla, Louise, van Vliet, Willem and Brink, Lois. (2007) Creating Child-Friendly Cities: The Case of Denver. Municipal Engineer, 160:97-102.
- Kingston, Beverly, Regoli, Robert and John Hewitt. (2003). The Theory of Differential Oppression: A Developmental-Ecological Explanation of Adolescent Problem Behavior. Critical Criminology, 11:237-260.
Research and Program Grants
- "Academic Center of Excellence for Violence Prevention." Project Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 09/30/11-09/29/16. $6,500,000.
- "Feasibility of a Social Network Preventive Intervention," Consultant, NIDA R34, 01/01/12-12/31/14, Pending approval for funding.
- "Safe Schools/Healthy Students," Project Director, Department of Education, 09/01/07-08/31/12, $8,400,000.
- "If They Build It, Will They Come? An Evaluation of the Effects of the Redevelopment of Inner-City School Grounds on the Physical Activity of Children," Project Director, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 05/01/05-10/31/07, $150,000.
- "Development of a City-Wide SR2S Model in Denver and Its Application at Munroe Elementary School," Co-Investigator, Colorado Department of Transportation, 01/01/07-03/01/08, $29,341.
- "Implementation and Evaluation of a Pilot Site-based Physical Activity and Nutrition Programs at Three Denver Elementary Schools," Consultant, Caring for Colorado Foundation, 09/01/04-09/01/05, $50,000.
Fellowships and Honors
- Adams County Youth Initiative - Leadership Award, 2012
- Excellence in Doctoral Research, Children, Youth and Environments Center for Research and Design, University of Colorado, 2004
- Catherine and Milton Becker Fellowship, 2002
- Summer Institute on Youth Violence Prevention, co-sponsored by the Southern California Center of Excellence on Youth Violence Prevention and the National Consortium on Violence Research, 2002
- University Fellowship - Graduate School, University of Colorado, 2002
- Enrollment Enhancement Fellowship - Graduate School, University of Colorado, 2000
- Enrollment Enhancement Fellowship - Graduate School, University of Colorado, 1999
- Community Leadership Award - Gulfton Area Neighborhood Organization and Bellaire Exchange Club, 1999
Revised: February 10, 2012