"Research in the area of school-based prevention demonstrates that school and discipline management interventions, interventions to establish norms and expectations for behavior, and instructional programs that teach social competency skills using cognitive-behavioral methods, are all effective practices."
–Blueprints for Violence Prevention Replications: Factors for Implementation Success
Research into violence prevention has found that not all activities claiming to prevent delinquency and reduce problem behaviors actually do so. The majority of programs don't have evidence of any positive, long-term impact on behavior. Some programs have even been found to cause harm. CSPV uses strict scientific standards to review violence prevention strategies and programs in order to evaluate their claims of effectiveness. Further, the Center is able to confidently recommend strategies that have been proven to work.
The Blueprints for Violence Prevention programs are those that meet these high standards, create positive outcomes for young people, and have been shown to be a good investment. In addition to meeting the strict criteria for inclusion as a Blueprints program, these programs are continually monitored for new evaluations that may indicate a change from earlier findings or a clearer picture of sustained effects.
Benefits of Effective Violence Prevention Programs:
- Less risk of failure
- No need to conduct an expensive outcome evaluation to document effectiveness
- Larger expected reduction in violence, drug use or delinquency than other programs
- Proven effectiveness when implemented with fidelity
- Greater return on time and money invested
Characteristics of Effective Programs:
- Clearly written, standardized materials
- Formal training for staff
- Technical assistance to help with implementation problems
- A theory-driven approach
- Limited complexity
- Methods to ensure quality implementation
- Blueprints for Violence Prevention Publications
- Funding Resources for Prevention Programs
- Safe Communities Safe Schools Planning Guide
- Safe Communities Safe Schools Action Guide
- Safe Communities Safe Schools Program Guide