Are You Concerned About Someone

On this page you can find information about what to do if you are concerned about a CU student.

I am a Student

If you are worried about another student, you can use our free, no appointment walk in services Monday through Friday from 10 AM – 4 PM to talk through your concerns with a counselor. You can also call us 24/7 at (303) 492-6766 for consultation and support on how to best address your concerns. Check out our How to Help a Friend page for resources on campus and in the community.

Remember CAPS offers free counseling to all CU undergraduate & graduate students. Students are eligible for up to 6 individual, confidential counseling sessions per academic year. Students are also invited to attend our group and workshop offerings. You can always invite the student you are concerned about to check out our services and get support.

I am a Parent

Supporting Your Student

  • Stay in touch.  Contact your son or daughter on a regular basis.  Even though he or she is experimenting with independent choices, your student still needs to know that you are there and available to talk.  Listening is vital.  Be open to hearing about both normal events and difficult issues.
  • Allow your student to set the agenda for some of your conversations.  If he or she needs help or support, make room for touchy subjects to arise and be handled calmly.
  • Be realistic about academic achievements and grades.  The transition to college-level academic demands can be difficult and can take time.  Developing or refining the capacity to work independently and consistently can be more important than grades, as long as the student meets the basic academic requirements set out by the university.

If your student experiences difficulties at CU, encourage him or her to take advantage of the wealth of resources available for students.  If your son or daughter could benefit from counseling, refer them to our free and confidential services.

You may also consult with us about your student 24-7 by calling 303.492.6766.

I am a Faculty/Staff Member

CAPS offers 24/7 phone consultations at (303) 492-6766 to staff, faculty, parents and students regarding students of concern.  During business hours we can talk by phone or in person to help you make a plan.

As an employee interacting daily with students, you are in an excellent position to recognize behavior changes that characterize the emotionally troubled student.  A student’s behavior, especially if it is inconsistent or unusual, could be a signal for help.  Your willingness to address a situation is often the encouragement a student needs to get assistance and continue successfully in school.

Some Classroom Signs of Distress:

  • Sudden drop in class attendance.
  • Drop in quality of class work.
  • Atypical, inappropriate or bizarre responses.
  • Inability to remain focused.
  • Excessive procrastination.
  • Repeated requests for special consideration (for example, deadline extensions.)

General Suggestions:

  • Talk with the student in private.
  • Reassure the student for talking with you.
  • Listen carefully.
  • Try to help the student identify the problem in a way that is most appropriate for you.
  • Be discrete but don’t promise confidentiality since you may be mandated to report (if staff or faculty.)
  • Refer the student to CAPS for our free services.
  • Consult with the Dean of Students Office or Student Conduct  at 303.492.7348 if needed.

Know your personal limits as a helper. You may not feel comfortable trying to help a student cope with a particular problem, but you could help them get connected with a department which can provide the necessary services.  If this is the case, contact Counseling and Psychological Services 303.492.6766. A counselor is available to consult 24/7 by calling 303.492.6766.