If You Discover a Fire
1. Leave the fire area and close the door to the area.
2. Sound the fire alarm.
3. Immediately evacuate the building via the shortest and safest exit route.
4. Do not use elevators.
5. If you notice smoke, use the alternate escape route.
6. Test doors with the back of your hand before opening them.
7. Crawl low if you have to go through smoke.
8. Go to a safe area or to a pre-assigned exterior assembly area for your building.
9. From the nearest phone in safe area, call 9-1-1.
10. Await emergency response personnel at safe location.
11. If you suspect that someone is missing or trapped, contact the emergency personnel outside the building.
12. If you are trapped, close all doors between you and the fire. Stuff cracks around doors to keep out smoke. Wait at a safe window and signal/call for help. If there is a phone in the room, call 9-1-1 and tell them exactly where you are.
13. Stop, drop, and roll if your clothing catches fire.
If You Hear a Fire Alarm
Do items 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, and 13 listed above.
See also Emergencies.