Yes, we have bears in Colorado. Remember this when hiking: carrying packs of yummy, odorous food makes you attractive to bears. And occasionally we have bears in Boulder. Stay safe—and prevent the bears from being killed for being a nuisance—by keeping your neighborhood clean. To avoid problems with bears and other wildlife, consider the following tips:
- Keep your trash inside a garage, shed, or porch until pick up. Containers must be placed outside by 7:00 a.m. the morning of collection.
- If you do not have a place inside, putting bungee cords on your trash lid may help keep bears out.
- If you have a pet, keep all dog / cat food inside the house. Consider taking down birdfeeders.
- If a bear, or other animal, does rummage through your trash, make sure to clean up loose litter to avoid fines and future problems.
- Never approach a bear. This is not Disneyland.
- Bear sightings can be reported to Boulder Dispatch at 303-441-3333.