OTPIC Officially Retired
As of December 2, 2005, the Online Training Program on Intractable Conflict (OTPIC) has been officially retired, and is no longer open to new registrations.
The successor to OTPIC is a course called Dealing Constructively with Intractable Conflicts (DCIC). The new curriculum is built around one of our major projects, Beyond Intractability, and offers a much more extensive and informative set of learning materials than that available through OTPIC.
International Online Training Program On Intractable
Conflict Research Consortium, University
of Colorado, USA
Downloading A Complete Version of the Training Program
Glossary | Menu Shortcut Page
Online time can be dramatically reduced and system speed can be greatly enhanced by
downloading a complete version of the training program and installing it on you hard disk
where you can browse it with your browser (e.g. Netscape or Explorer). You will,
however, still have to go online to follow the training program's links to other
Using the training program in this way requires approximately 11 megabytes of hard disk
space. Since the files are in compressed "zip" format, you only have to
download 2.5 megabytes, however.)
In order to download the systenm following steps.
- Download the following files:
- peace.zip -- 711KB
- peace_essay.ZIP -- 39KB
- peace_example.ZIP -- 288KB
- peace_problem.ZIP -- 626KB
- peace_treatment.ZIP -- 511KB
- If you don't have a copy of a "zip" utility you will need to download one.
You can download and install this version of WinZip
for Windows 95/98. This is a shareware program. Use can use it for free to
unzip the training program. If you want to keep and use the program the authors ask
you to register it and pay a small fee. If you can't afford to do this the program
will continue to work.
- Create the following directories on your computer:
- Unzip the files into the appropriate directory as follows
- peace.zip goes to peace peace
- peace_essay.ZIP goes to peace\essay
- peace_example.ZIP goes to peace\example
- peace_problem.ZIP goes to peace\problem
- peace_treatment.ZIP goes to peace\treatment
- While you will need a password to unzip the files these passwords are available for
free. All you have to do is e-mail
us and ask us for a password. This procedure allows us to keep track of who is using the
system in a this way and make sure that they get system updates.
- Once the files are installed start your browser open the file peace/index.html and
it should work just like you are online. Try Open or Open Page in the File Menu.
- If you have problems let us know.