Published: July 7, 2017

#ILookLikeAnEngineer

Why did you choose engineering at CU Boulder?

I chose engineering at CU Boulder because I wanted a community that fostered personal development as well as academic development. I found a place where I am encouraged to challenge, to question, and to explore. 

What does #ILookLikeAnEngineer mean to you?

The campaign questions and challenges engineering stereotypes. It shows that anyone can be an engineer. You do not have to look a certain way or act a certain way to be an engineer. 

What are three things that make you unique?

1. I am a networker. 
  2. I love the technical aspect of school but my passion is forming connections with those around me. 
  3. I value adventure more than anything. 

What are your career goals?

My career goals are to become fluent in Spanish and become a medical doctor. I would like to travel and work as a global engineer/doctor. One of my dreams is to use my skills to volunteer in South America. 

Do you have a favorite quote or mantra?

Growth happens in the most uncomfortable of times.

What do you enjoy most about engineering?

I have the opportunity and the skills to improve the world. There is nothing more rewarding than helping those in need. I love the challenge and rigor of the material and more importantly, the teamwork and collaboration that emerges. 

What is your favorite engineering experience?

My favorite engineering experience was volunteering at Project C.U.R.E in Denver. The organization collects and sorts medical devices for worldwide distribution. I used what I learned in class and applied it to real life applications. I was able to fix biomedical machines so they could be sent to hospitals and clinics in developing countries. 

What's next for you?

This summer I am studying abroad in Costa Rica for Spanish and pre-med classes. I am working at a hospital in Quito, Ecuador, and I am getting my Wilderness EMT through the National Outdoor Leadership School so that I can work as a search-and-rescue EMT. 

Kelly Gazarik, class of 2019, Chemical & Biological Engineering