Admission and 
Enrollment Policies

The College of Architecture and Planning currently offers emphases leading to specialized majors in architecture, design studies, planning/urban design, and environmental design within its environmental design degree program. All new students initially enter the college as environmental design majors. Completion of the 30 credit lower-division core leads to entry into one of three specialized upper division emphases—architecture, planning/urban design, and design studies. Students indicate their choice of upper-division emphasis by the particular design studio and design history class they elect to complete in their second year in the program. Policy questions may be directed to 303-492-7711 or

Requirements for Admission +

Candidates for regular admission to the College of Architecture and Planning are expected to meet the general requirements for admission to the university. See Undergraduate Admission in the General Information section of this catalog for specific requirements.

Transfer Students +

Qualified students transferring from other institutions are accepted into the College of Architecture and Planning. Former students who have attended another college or university for one semester (12 hours or more) are considered to be transfer students. Since the College of Architecture and Planning has a limited enrollment, all qualified students are not guaranteed admission. All course work except the last term, if in progress, must be completed and must be listed on the official transcript sent for admission consideration. Transfer students should apply to the Office of Admissions.

Students are encouraged to transfer as early as possible in their undergraduate career due to the large amount of design- and planning-related course work required by the different ENVD curricula. All transfer students, like freshmen, enter the college as environmental design (ENVD) students, and apply for admission to one of the five emphasis majors—architecture, environmental design, landscape design, planning, or design studies—in the final semester of their junior year. All transfer students are required to take a minimum of 30 semester hours in the College of Architecture and Planning. Transfer students are admitted for the fall, spring, and summer terms each year.

If a student chooses to provide letters of intent and recommendation, they must accompany the application. It is the responsibility of the student to be sure transcripts and other application materials are complete. Only complete application files are considered for admission.

A maximum of 60 semester hours taken at a two-year college may be applied toward the baccalaureate degree. In general, credits in vocational-technical courses are not accepted for transfer by the college. Transfer agreements between the University of Colorado and all Colorado community colleges outline approximately one year of prescribed general education courses that may be completed as preparation for transfer into the College of Architecture and Planning. As noted above, students should plan to transfer to the University of Colorado by the beginning of their sophomore year. See Undergraduate Admission under General Information in this catalog for admission standards for transfer students.

Intrauniversity Transfer (IUT) +

University of Colorado students in good standing who are interested in pursuing a design education may apply for transfer into the college. IUT applications are distributed at meetings held for interested students several times each semester. Students should contact the college offices for the dates of meetings and deadlines for application review for specific semesters. Completion of specified introductory courses may be required before an IUT application for transfer into the college can be considered. Because of the limited number of spaces available in the program, admission is competitive and grade point average plays a significant role in the application process. It may also serve as a basis for entry to introductory courses required for IUT application. All IUT students are admitted as ENVD open option students, and must select an upper-division emphasis following the processes described in the introduction to the Curriculum section that follows.

Credit Policies +

Advanced Placement +

Advanced Placement and college credit may be granted on the basis of the College Board’s Advanced Placement tests. For students who have taken Advanced Placement course work in high school and receive scores meeting university standards in the Advanced Placement examination, Advanced Placement as well as college credit is granted. Granted college credit is treated as transfer credit without a grade, but counts toward graduation and meets other specific requirements for which it is appropriate.

Incomplete Grades +

The college’s faculty set their own policies for grading and for granting incompletes. Special conditions may be noted on class syllabi. In all cases, students must present evidence of circumstances beyond their control that prevent them from completing the class. The student and faculty member must complete a written agreement (form available in college offices) outlining the terms of course completion and submit this agreement to the dean’s office.

Independent Study +

Ordinarily, only students at the 3000- or 4000-level of studio are permitted to obtain independent study credit. Independent study credit may not be used to substitute for any required core or design studio course.

A complete description of the scope of the independent work, a summary of how it will be carried out, and a definition of the intended outcomes must be submitted to the supervising faculty member no later than five days after the official beginning of a semester. Approval of the description must be by the faculty member and the department chair before permission is granted for enrollment in the independent study course. Students should make arrangements for the independent study course details during registration or well before the semester begins.

Typically, only students who have at least a 3.000 GPA are permitted to register for independent study. Additional requirements might be established depending on the proposed topic. Not more than 3 hours of independent study credit during one semester and not more than a total of 6 are given for the entire time the student is enrolled, unless an exception is granted by the dean.

Other Credits +

Credits for teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and internships are all guided by the same standards as those for independent study. Credits earned as a teaching assistant, research assistant, or intern are not subject to the 6 credit-hour limitation on independent study credit. Teaching assistantships and internships are offered on a pass/fail basis only.

Pass/Fail Credits +

A student may elect to take up to 6 semester hours toward the BEnvd degree on a pass/fail basis, but these credits must fall in the category of general electives and may not include course work taught within the College of Architecture and Planning.

Students should confer with the college’s academic advisor regarding specific academic standards for repeating laboratory, studio, and other undergraduate courses. Credits for repeated courses are not counted toward the 120 semester hours needed for graduation.

ROTC Credit +

Students matriculating in the College of Architecture and Planning are eligible to participate in the ROTC programs on the Boulder campus.

Students interested in such programs should contact the professor in charge of the ROTC program of their choice (Army, Navy, Air Force) and also the academic advisor for the college for information on residence and curriculum requirements for graduation. Credit for ROTC courses may be given upon faculty recommendation to a maximum of 8 hours.

Transfer Credit +

Credits transferred from other institutions are limited to the number of credit hours given for similar work in regular offerings at the University of Colorado. Exceptions to this regulation may be made by the dean upon written petition.

In general, the college does not accept vocational/technical course work in design, graphics, or construction as meeting specific course requirements of the program; nor does it consider such course work as acceptable in fulfilling the college’s elective requirements. Only in exceptional circumstances may a student petition the dean of the college to request a transfer of such credits. A student may, however, ask that vocational/technical course work be considered as a basis for waiving a specific course in a required sequence.

A grade of C- or better is required in any course for which credit is granted in transfer from another institution to the university. Grades earned in other institutions (excluding other campuses of the University of Colorado) are not computed with the student’s CU grade point average.

For more information on transfer credit policies, see Transfer of College-Level Credit in the Admissions section.

Residence Requirement +

A student must complete a minimum of 30 course credits within the College of Architecture and Planning. Students also must complete their last semester in residence as full-time students.

Advising +

Academic advising for students presently enrolled or anticipating enrollment in the college’s undergraduate program is provided in a variety of forms. High school students or prospective transfer students from other universities are encouraged to participate in “Be a CU Student for a Day” or other visitation programs co-sponsored by the college and the CU-Boulder Office of Admissions. Information on campus visitation programs may be obtained by contacting the Office of Admissions at 303-492-6301, or

Students already enrolled in Boulder campus programs who are interested in intrauniversity transfer (IUT) into the College of Architecture and Planning should contact the college office at 303-492-7711 for group meeting times focusing on the IUT transfer process.

Students enrolled in the college’s undergraduate programs receive academic advising from faculty or professional staff in the college. Information on appointments and open office hours for advising is available at the college office, ENVD 168, or by calling 303-492-7711.

Orientation +

In order to receive an overview of educational opportunities and the philosophy of the college, and to meet other new students and the faculty of the college, incoming freshman and transfer students are required to attend an orientation approximately one week prior to the beginning of the fall semester.

Retention of Student Work +

The College of Architecture and Planning may, with the student’s written consent, retain student work submitted in fulfillment of class requirements for a period of time. This retained work is normally used to provide accrediting agencies with tangible evidence of performance, to serve as additional visual aid material in presentations to other students, and to contribute to possible educational exhibits and publications requested by the university community and the general public.

Computing in the College +

The College of Architecture and Planning now requires that all incoming undergraduate students have and use their own computers and software applications in their studies. ITS on the Boulder campus has suggested hardware and software configurations for both desktop and notebook computers on their website at Neither the Boulder campus nor the College of Architecture and Planning endorses or requires students to buy a computer from a particular manufacturer. The configurations suggested by ITS establish basic performance requirements that can be found in many different computers. Specialized software requirements for different classes in the ENVD program appear on the syllabi for those classes, and that software is generally available through the bookstore at discounted student rates.

University of Colorado at Boulder CU-Home CU-Search CU-A to Z Campus Map