Other Applicants

On This Page:

International Students

The university invites applications from qualified international students. International applicants are those who already have, or will be applying for, a temporary U.S. visa such as F-1 and J-1. Applicants who are United States citizens, permanent residents, asylees, or refugees are not considered international. These students should follow application and admission procedures for undergraduates or graduates as described elsewhere in this catalog.

More than 1,000 international students from more than 95 countries study at CU-Boulder. Applications for admission are processed by the Office of Admissions. International students who wish to pursue a full-time program of study at the undergraduate or graduate level should go to the international student website at www.colorado.edu/admissions/undergraduate/international for admission information and online application forms.

Assistance after admission is provided by International Student and Scholar Services, located in the Office of International Education (www.colorado.edu/oie/isss). Boulder offers a full range of services to international students, including a host family program, orientation, special programs and activities for international students, and personal attention to individual needs. 

Intensive English instruction is also offered by the International English Center. For information, go to www.colorado.edu/iec or write or call the International English Center, University of Colorado Boulder, 63 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309-0063, 303-492-5547.

Prospective graduate students should go to the website at www.colorado.edu/prospective/graduate for information and application forms specific to the academic department in which they are interested. Prospective graduate students can also call the campus telephone operator at 303-492-1411 and ask to have the call transferred to the department of interest or write to the specific department, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309.

International Nondegree Students

The University of Colorado Boulder welcomes visiting (nondegree) students from around the world. International students who are requesting a form I-20 (for an F-1 visa) are required to enroll full time (6 credits in the summer and 12 in the fall and spring semesters). Students are not allowed to drop below that limit and maintain their visa status. Students on a tourist visa may be eligible to take one class. An individual who holds a temporary nonimmigrant visa or temporary immigration status may register as a nondegree student after demonstrating English proficiency through the approval to register process administered by the International English Center, and only if the individual also meets academic prerequisites.

E-mail ceadvisor@colorado.edu or ssdean@colorado.edu for additional information. 

Readmit Students

Former CU-Boulder undergraduate degree students who have not attended the Boulder campus for three semesters must submit the Application for Readmission for undergraduate degree students. No application fee is required. Students who have attended any college or university since their last attendance at CU-Boulder will need to submit official transcripts directly from the issuing institution(s) to the Office of Admissions.

If the student is changing from a previous college or school, the change should be noted on the application. Otherwise, it is assumed that the student is returning to the same field of study, if eligible to do so. If a college or school change is requested for which the student is not eligible, the student will need to request reconsideration for his or her previous program.

Former students in the College of Arts and Sciences students wishing to return to the college must apply to their previous major. Students who wish to pursue a second undergraduate degree must apply to a major different from the one in which they received their degree. Students may not apply for a second bachelor’s degree in the Leeds School of Business or the Journalism and Mass Communication Program.

As of the fall 2010 semester, continuing undergraduate degree-seeking students who temporarily withdraw will be automatically eligible to return within a given time period without having to readmit. Review the Return Chart located at registrar.colorado.edu/students/withdrawal.html. (Degree-seeking students who are taking classes only through the Division of Continuing Education are considered enrolled students.)

During the semesters of non-enrollment, students' CU-Boulder e-mail and portal accounts remain open. To return, students need to register for classes during the regular enrollment period for the returning term. If the student's confirmation deposit was refunded, they must repay it when returning.

The above policy is not applicable to graduate students but these students may be eligible for the Time Off Program if they wish to take a leave of absence. Graduate students not eligible for the Time Off Program will need to reapply for admission. This policy also is not applicable for new degree students (or transfer students) who enroll and then withdraw prior to the drop deadline date. For more information, see registrar.colorado.edu. Degree students who withdraw from CU-Boulder during summer session may not need to reapply to continue into the fall semester unless they are changing schools, colleges, or degree programs.

Nondegree Students

Students who wish to take University of Colorado Boulder courses but are not currently admitted to a degree program at the university are classified as “nondegree students.” Students apply as nondegree students through the Division of Continuing Education (303-492-5148 or conted.colorado.edu). Nondegree students may enroll in credit classes through the ACCESS (Available Credit Courses for Eligible Special Students) Program, the Boulder Evening Program, CAETE (Center for Advanced Engineering and Technology Education), the Independent Learning Program, Applied Music Program, and Summer Session. 

If students have been denied admission to an undergraduate degree program, they may not enroll as nondegree students in the ACCESS Program for the semester for which they sought degree program admission. Nondegree student admission does not guarantee future admission to any degree program. 

Nondegree students may also enroll for courses on a pass/fail basis. These courses are counted toward hours of pass/fail course work permitted according to the rules of the college or school to which students are admitted once they achieve degree status.

Nondegree students must maintain a 2.00 cumulative GPA. Failure to maintain the required GPA will result in academic suspension.

High school students interested in taking courses at CU-Boulder apply as nondegree students through the High School Concurrent Program administered by the division.

International students who want to apply to the university as nondegree students should read the International Students section above. Students interested in teacher licensure should refer to the School of Education section.

Nondegree Students Transferring to a Degree Program

Students who are currently enrolled or have been enrolled at any CU campus as nondegree students may apply for admission to an undergraduate degree program.

Students wishing to transfer to a graduate degree program should refer to the Graduate School section and individual college and school sections.

A degree-seeking applicant may transfer an unlimited number of credits taken as a nondegree student on any University of Colorado campus. However, applicability of these hours toward degree requirements is established by the colleges and schools. It is suggested that a student apply to a degree program as soon as admission requirements, including MAPS deficiencies, have been met. It is essential that former nondegree students actively seek academic advising from the appropriate dean’s office once they have been accepted into a degree program.

Second Undergraduate Degree Applicants

Students may apply for a second undergraduate degree at the University of Colorado Boulder, but should explore the various options in graduate study available at the university before doing so. Students applying for a second undergraduate degree must follow transfer admission guidelines, and those students who are admitted must keep in mind that all college and major requirements must be met in order to complete degree programs satisfactorily. Restrictions mandated by general university policies, as well as specific college and school policies, include the following:

  1. Applicants may not apply to the major in which they received their first undergraduate degree.
  2. Applicants must apply to a specific major; applications for an open option or undetermined major cannot be considered.
  3. Second undergraduate degree applicants in the College of Architecture and Planning are encouraged to investigate graduate programs.
  4. The Leeds School of Business and the Journalism and Mass Communication Program do not consider students who have already completed an undergraduate degree. These students are strongly encouraged to investigate graduate study.
  5. Students who already have an undergraduate degree from the College of Engineering and Applied Science and who desire a second undergraduate degree are strongly encouraged to investigate graduate study as an option.
  6. The School of Education offers graduate and teacher certification programs only.
  7. Credit hours earned as a nondegree student at the University of Colorado may not be used toward major degree requirements for a second degree in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Students from Other CU Campuses

Students who wish to transfer to Boulder from another University of Colorado campus (Colorado Springs or Denver), from CU Study Abroad, or from CU Continuing Education should refer to the Transfer Applicants section. These students must send a high school transcript, SAT or ACT scores, and an official transcript from each college or university attended (outside the University of Colorado system) to the Office of Admissions. Currently enrolled degree students are not required to pay the application fee. Special consideration is given to applicants transferring from degree programs at other campuses of the University of Colorado. Course work completed at other campuses in the University of Colorado System will be a part of the student’s cumulative university record and will not be considered as transfer credit. However, the applicability of this course work toward specific CU-Boulder degree requirements will be determined solely by CU-Boulder colleges and schools. External transfer credit presented by students to other University of Colorado campuses will be evaluated by CU-Boulder guidelines upon the student’s matriculation into a degree program at CU-Boulder.

Intrauniversity Transfer Students

Students wishing to change colleges or schools within the CU-Boulder campus must obtain an Intrauniversity Transfer (IUT) application from the college or school to which they wish to transfer.

For more information on recommended course work in preparation for an IUT and other criteria, students need to consult college and school sections of this catalog or talk with an academic advisor in the program to which they plan to transfer. Some colleges and schools do not accept intrauniversity transfer students during the summer. It is important to note that admission to a college through the IUT process is competitive, and not all students who apply are admitted. Decisions are based on course preparation, hours completed, grade point average, and other criteria required by the specific college or school.

Denied Admission as a Freshman

Students who were not admissible to the University of Colorado Boulder based on high school academic records are encouraged to apply for transfer admission after at least 24 semester hours of transferable college-level course work are completed or in progress. This includes any minimum academic preparation standards (MAPS) requirements not met in high school.