Graduate School

Grad student in biofuels in research lab

John Stevenson, dean
26 UCB    phone: 303-492-7401    fax: 303-492-5777
school website:

GRADUATE WORK at the University of Colorado began on a small scale in 1892. Following years of development, the Graduate School was organized in 1909 with a separate faculty. Each of the three campuses of the University of Colorado system now offers graduate degree programs, and a dean is in residence on each campus. The Graduate School at CU-Boulder is governed by its own set of Graduate School Rules.

Funding for Graduate Study

CU-Boulder administers various forms of financial assistance for graduate students: fellowships, traineeships, scholarships, research and teaching assistantships, and awards from outside agencies.

Financial Aid for Graduate Study

The University of Colorado offers several types of financial assistance for graduate students who demonstrate financial need. Students apply for assistance by submitting a financial aid application (the FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1.

The Colorado Graduate Grant Program is open to graduate students who are Colorado residents. Nonresidents are eligible for student fee grants. To receive assistance, students must be nominated by their departments.

Graduate students may apply for long-term loans through the Stafford Loan (formerly GSL) program or the Perkins Loan program (formerly the National Direct Student Loan) and for part-time jobs through the college work-study program.

Graduate Part-Time Instructors and Teaching Assistants

Many departments employ graduate students as graduate part-time instructors (GPTIs) or as teaching assistants (TAs). GPTIs must possess a master’s degree or the equivalent and have demonstrated competence in classroom teaching. Teaching assistants are not required to have previous teaching experience. In order to be eligible to be a GPTI or a TA, one must be a fully enrolled graduate student, with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.000. Compensation is based on the percentage of time worked, and includes a tuition waiver and partial insurance benefit.

Research Assistants

In many departments, research activities provide opportunities for graduate students to work part time as research assistants. All research assistants must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 and be full-time regularly enrolled graduate students. Compensation is based on percentage of time worked and includes a tuition waiver and partial insurance benefit. 

Scholarships and Fellowships

The Chancellor’s Graduate Fellowship Program, instituted in 1984–85, attracts outstanding students for graduate study at the University of Colorado. Selected students receive a stipend of $25,000 for two academic years and a full waiver of all tuition, fees, and insurance. Recipients must be entering master’s or doctoral degree students and be nominated by their department.

Additional fellowships are available from private sources. Fellowships, traineeships, and scholarships are also offered by some departments. Applications for financial support are due in the departments by the announced deadlines; most departments must receive applications by January 15.

Information on other funding opportunities is available on the Graduate School website at