You are here
Sibylle Walter (NASA Fellow) is a PhD candidate in Aerospace Engineering Sciences. Sibylle's reserach interests include combined cycle propulsion systems and design optimization through stochastic processes.
- PhD, Aerospace Engineering Sciences, University of Colorado, Boulder, May 2015 (exp)
- MS, Aerospace Engineering Sciences, University of Colorado, Boulder, May 2012
- BS, Aerospace Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, May 2007
- Guest lecturer for ASEN4013 (Foundations of Propulsion) in Spring 2011, 2012 as an intro to air-breathing propulsion and component design
- Guest lecturer for ASEN5018/6028 (Graduate Projects) in Spring 2012 on Failure Analysis
Research & Work Experience
May 2011 - Present: Research Assistant
Busemann Advanced Concepts Laboratory, University of Colorado, Boulder
Research assistant working on afterburner design, combined cycle engines, and modeling critical trade-offs between component design and overall system performance. Includes many different uncertainty quantification methods to provide a more robust design.
Jan 2011 - May 2011: Teaching Assistant
ASEN4013 Foundations of Propulsion, University of Colorado, Boulder
Teaching assistant for an introductory class to the fundamental principles and concepts of aerothermodynamics and propulsion systems, including turbojets, ramjets, and rockets. Duties included holding recitation sessions and evaluating students' work.
Oct 2007 - Jul 2010: Design Engineer
General Electric Aviation, Evendale, OH
Fan, compressor, and turbine airfoil hardware design responsibilities. Team leader and engineering leader on several projects. Coordinated multidisciplinary and multinational teams. Answered requests for proposals on commercial and military projects. Created monetary and manpower budgets for several design projects.
2012 - 2014 - NASA Aeronautics Scholarship recipient
2011 - Graduate Assistantship in Areas of National Need (GAANN) fellowship recipient
- Aerospace Graduate Student Organization (AGSO) Professional Development Chair (2012 - Present)
- Technology access resource volunteer at the Louisville Public Library (2012 - Present)
- I Have a Dream Foundation of Boulder tutor in mathematics and science (2010 - Present)
- Aiken High School tutor in Cincinnati, OH (2007 - 2010)
- A. James Clark school ambassador at the University of Maryland, College Park (2005 - 2007)
- Walter, S., and Starkey, R., "GoJett: Design and Optimization of a Supersonic Unmanned Aerial Flight System," 12th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference and 14th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, 2012.
- Starkey, R., and Walter, S., "GOJETT: A Supersonic Unmanned Aerial Flight System," 50th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, 2012.
- Walter, S. et al. "New Jamestown: Developing an Infrastructure for a Lunar Outpost." NASA RASC-AL competition. 2007