The ATLAS Institute is an innovative campus-wide initiative in education, research, creative work and
outreach in which information and communication technology is the enabling force. ATLAS
programs bring together students, educators, artists, writers, scholars and leaders from the
academy, industry, non-profits and government to create a multidisciplinary environment that contributes to the understanding of the interaction of ICT and human society, and to the
realization of the full potential of that interaction.
The ATLAS Institute is affiliated with the University of Colorado Graduate School and the College of Engineering & Applied Science.
ATLAS is distinguished by its efforts to:
- Establish collaborative multidisciplinary partnerships and programs.
- Prepare, attract and recruit a highly qualified and diverse student population.
- Help prepare these students for lives and leadership careers
in the networked information age.
What We Do
ATLAS teaches students a new way to think about what is possible, and to use the computer as a tool to realize fully that vision. ATLAS teaches students not how to acquire information, but rather how to select, evaluate, integrate and synthesize information into usable knowledge. ATLAS acts as a campus and national resource in the area of technology for teaching and learning.
ATLAS programs make people more capable learners, more effective teachers, more creative thinkers and more engaged citizens, citizens who are technologically literate, globally aware and prepared to employ new technologies as they emerge. ATLAS blurs the lines between teacher and student, between laboratory and society and between art and science. Current ATLAS Programs
Current ATLAS Programs
- Technology, Media and Society Ph.D.
- Professional MS degree in ICT for Development
- Technology, Arts and Media undergraduate minor
- BDW advanced digital communications and design programs
- Center for Media, Arts, and Performance
- Outreach partnerships with K-12 schools, including the Digital CUrrents summer workshop program
- Home to the headquarters of the National Center for Women and Information Technology
- Assessment Research Center