Published: Sept. 11, 2017

Q:  Why did you choose to attend graduate school? 

A: My interest in applied math and the career paths available after graduate school compelled me to attend. I also felt like there was much more to learn after undergraduate, as I just scratched the surface of many subjects I was interested in and the research process.

Q:  What will your degree be in?

A: PhD in Applied Math

Q:  Has your first week met your expectations? 

A: The newest thing in the first week was being a TA. I didn’t know what to expect when it came to leading a recitation section, so I didn’t have expectations to be met! While I tutored and graded in undergrad, I have never lead anything like a recitation or written quizzes, so the preparation and execution is very different. I’ve enjoyed it so far and am excited to keep teaching. 

Q: What surprised you about grad school so far? 

A: One thing that was an excellent surprise was the immediate community and support from the people in my cohort. Already I have done a lot of work for classes with them and we have a community that I think will be awesome as I go forward in graduate school.

Q: What kind of things are you nervous about? 

A: I’m worried about time and stress management as I know there will be times when I have a lot to do and/or am very stressed. I was able to do just fine in undergrad, but I don’t know if it’ll be different in grad school with the harder material or different workload.

Q: Why did you choose to attend grad school at CU? 

A: I had three visits to different graduate programs, and not only did I feel like I fit in the best here, I also felt like I’d get a lot of support throughout my time here as I work toward my degree.

Q:  How does the workload so far differ from your undergraduate experience? 

A: The workload is much more concentrated on math than my undergraduate experience, as every semester in undergrad I took classes outside of the math department. Now, my energy is concentrated entirely on math, with time invested in prepping for recitation and leading recitation sections.