You are here

Information for International Students

Estimated Finances

Costs of attending a university in the U.S. are generally high. In most cases, CU-Boulder cannot provide financial support to international students. And, immigration regulations severely restrict employment of international students. Therefore, you must have sufficient funds from other sources. Costs listed below are estimates and may vary from those stated on your Form I-20 or DS 2019.

Tuition and Costs

International Undergraduate Estimated Costs >

Proof of Sufficient Funds

You must show proof of sufficient funds before your admission can be finalized and an immigration form can be sent. As a condition of being issued immigration documents for F-1 or J-1 status, you must submit evidence of full financial support sufficient for all first-year expenses at the University of Colorado Boulder.

You can track the status of your admission and view which documents we still require to finalize your admission in your MyCUBoulder account.

If you will be privately sponsored, including sponsoring yourself, you must complete and submit the Financial Statement for International Applicants (PDF) and bank statement. We do not accept the CollegeBoard International Student Certification of Finances in place of our own Financial Statement for International Applicants.

If you are financially supported by your government, home institution or sponsoring agency, you must provide an official letter from that agency as evidence.

The letter must:

  • Guarantee support equal to or greater than the estimated costs quoted in the Financial Statement for International Applicants (PDF)
  • Be written in English
  • Specify the academic term(s), billing address, level and area of study
  • Specify the U.S. dollar amount you will receive and how the funds will be paid

Note: Be aware that the exchange rate for foreign currencies can fluctuate. Be prepared for costs to increase from five to ten percent each year.

Undergraduate Student Funding Possibilities

International students are eligible for a few merit-based CU-Boulder scholarships, but must submit official ACT or SAT scores as part of the application to be considered.

There are many funding opportunities outside of the university. The Office of Admissions has prepared a list of financial and scholarship resources that are open to international students.

We do not accept the CollegeBoard International Student Financial Aid Application. U.S. Permanent Residents and Citizens, including those who live internationally, are eligible for U.S. financial aid and other CU-Boulder scholarships. Learn more >

Athletic and Music Scholarships: Are occasionally available through the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and the College of Music. They offer full or partial scholarships for very talented individuals. You can contact these offices directly:

Online Resources

eduPASS (external website)
Financing Your Education in the United States Guide
Funding for Undergraduate International Students (external website)
International Financial Aid and College Scholarship Search (external website)

Print Resources

IIE Books has several print resources for purchase. We recommend Funding For U.S. Study: A Guide for Citizens of Other Nations, which provides current information on grants and fellowships for study abroad.

IIE Books
Institute of International Education
P.O. Box 371
Annapolis Junction, MD 20701-0301
Phone: 1-800-445-0443