You are here
Tips, Tricks & Ideas
By now most you of, regardless of whether you are freshman, returning students or transfers, are probably getting really excited to move to Boulder. Maybe you’re moving into a residence hall or your first apartment, but I can guarantee that you’re probably wondering how in the world you are going to bring all of your stuff up to school. Clothes, bedding, and supplies…oh my!
I’ve shifted around from various schools, rooms and apartments so I’d like to think of myself as a semi pro packer/mover. I thought it might be helpful to share some packing/moving tips, tricks and ideas that I have stumbled upon over the years.
1. Don’t bring every single piece of clothing you own. Especially if you live close or are going home before the seasons change drastically. No use having those winter coats taking up space in the closet when it’s still nearly 100 degrees.
2. Roll your clothes. If you’re packing in boxes or suitcases it’s a really great space saver and prevents wrinkles!
3. Think before you pack. Do you really need it? How many times have you used it in the last year? Chances are wherever you are moving, space will be limited.
4. Label boxes. It’s such a simple tip, but it really cuts down unpacking time.
5. Save boxes. Break them down and store them under the bed, behind your desk or in the closet. You will be able to use them at the end of the year and you won’t have to worry about buying more. CU likes to recycle :)
6. Ask for help. In my experience, someone is always willing to help with moving boxes, etc. Just ask nicely and give enough notice...you don’t want to end up like I did at the end of last year…
7. Wait to buy some of the things you need until you get to Boulder. For example- towels, shower supplies and even bedding (etc) can take up a lot of space while moving. Also, look out for sales and student discounts.
8. Patience and organization are the most important. Simple as that!
Hopefully these ideas will help you have a stress free move!
Get excited, future Buffs!