You are here

Transfer Admission Requirements

You are a transfer student if you have enrolled at another college, university, or another campus of the University of Colorado (including Continuing Education and Professional Studies) since earning your high school diploma or equivalent.

CU-Boulder's aim is to offer highly qualified and intellectually curious transfer students the opportunity to continue pursuing their educational goals. We practice a holistic admission review process, taking into account a variety of primary academic and secondary factors as they relate to your projected success in our competitive academic environment. You will be considered on an individual basis relative to a prediction of your academic success in the college to which you apply.

Admission Requirements by College or School

College of Arts and Sciences

Cumulative college GPA of 2.50 or better in appropriate general education courses. Students who complete 60 semester hours of transfer-level work with a cumulative GPA of 2.50 at a Colorado Community College and who apply by the equal consideration deadline are assured admission to the College of Arts and Sciences. Students must complete all of the Minimum Academic Preparation Standards (MAPS) to be guaranteed admission. *This information applies to students who entered college after Spring 1988. For those students who entered college prior to Summer 1988, please contact the Office of Admissions.

Leeds School of Business

Cumulative college GPA of 3.0 or higher and completion of finite math (or college algebra), calculus, microeconomics and macroeconomics with competitive letter grades.

School of Education

Students who have completed a bachelor's degree may apply directly to the School of Education. All other undergraduate students must be admitted to another CU-Boulder college or school in an approved major before applying to the teacher education program.  Visit the Undergraduate Teacher Licensure Program for additional information.


College of Engineering and Applied Science

Cumulative college GPA of 3.0 for all majors EXCEPT Mechanical Engineering which requires a 3.3 cumulative college GPA. Transfer applicants must have taken courses relevant to an engineering curriculum, including at least two semesters of college-level calculus and two semesters of calculus-based physics and/or college-level chemistry. Chemical engineering and chemical and biological engineering applicants should have completed two semesters of college chemistry.

Grades in math, science and engineering courses should be a 'B' or higher. (Exception: Students (resident or non-resident) who apply for admission for a semester which occurs within 18 months of their high school graduation date may also be competitive without having taken the above course work, as long as their high school academic record is competitive. In addition, if any college-level work has been completed, your overall GPA should be 3.0 or higher.)

The College guarantees admission to any of its baccalaureate degree programs to students transferring from Colorado public institutions of higher education who meet the Guaranteed Admission Criteria for Colorado Transfers.

College of Music

Cumulative college GPA of 2.75 or higher. An audition or audition recording is required of all applicants.

Program in Environmental Design

Cumulative college GPA of 2.75 or higher. Preference is given to students who have taken college-level courses in the areas of architecture, planning, or environmental studies. Completion of courses in related fields of social science, natural science, fine arts, or humanities is also considered in admission review.

College of Media, Communication and Information

  • Fall 2015: Applicants will apply to the College of Media, Communication and Information and should select one of these majors available on the application: strategic communication (emphasis in: advertising, public relations and media design); communication; media production; journalism; information science; and media studies. Transfer students are required to have:
    • an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
    • a minimum of 30 semester hours of appropriate college-level course work completed or in progress
    • completion of prerequisitecourses with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
      • Prerequisite courses at Colorado community colleges:
        • Communication majors: Public Speaking–COM 115 AND Group Interaction–COM 217
        • Journalism majors: Contemporary Mass Media–JOU 105 AND Principles of Journalism–JOU 106
        • Media Studies majors: Contemporary Mass Media–JOU 105 AND Principles of Journalism–JOU 106 OR Principles of Advertising–MAR 220
        • Strategic Communication majors: Contemporary Mass Media–JOU 105 AND Principles of Advertising–MAR 220
  • Spring and Summer 2015:  Applicants will apply to the Program in Journalism and Mass Communication and should choose one of these majors available on the application:  advertising, broadcast news, broadcast production, media studies, news editorial.  Students interested in the communication major will find it listed under the College of Arts & Sciences for these terms. Admission to the Program in Journalism and Mass Communication requires a transfer student to have a minimum of 30 semester hours of appropriate college-level course work completed or in progress and an overall GPA of 3.00 as well as a 3.00 average GPA in journalism course prerequisites.  Applicants must have completed or in progress two introductory courses:  Contemporary Mass Media, or the equivalent at another institution (all majors) AND Principles of Advertising,  or the equivalent at another institution (advertising applicants only), OR Principles of Journalism, or the equivalent at another institution (broadcast news, broadcast production, media studies, or news editorial majors).

Additional Factors in the Admission Decision

Beyond academic achievement, CU-Boulder places importance on secondary factors to assess the overall qualities of each applicant. These secondary factors include, but are not limited to the following: your two required essays, school and community activities, leadership positions and awards, participation in athletics, work experience, summer activities, special circumstances and letters of recommendation. Visit the How to Apply page for more information on required documents needed to complete your application. We do not accept or use portfolio or audio/video submissions in our admission process.

Minimum Academic Preparation Standards (MAPS)

If you graduated from high school in 1988 or later, we expect you to have completed courses that meet our minimum academic preparation standards (MAPS) before you enroll at CU-Boulder.

Policies Concerning MAPS Requirements

The policies of the Boulder campus with respect to completing MAPS course work after enrollment are as follows:

  1. Appropriate missing MAPS course work is included in the hours for graduation.
  2. All course work toward fulfillment of the MAPS must be taken for a letter grade.
  3. It is strongly recommended that students enroll in and complete at least one MAPS course each term, beginning in the first term of enrollment, until such time as all MAPS are completed. This policy applies to new freshmen, to transfer students and to students transferring from other academic units on the Boulder campus and from other campuses of the university. Some colleges or schools may impose a sanction if the student does not complete one course per semester toward meeting MAPS deficiencies.
  4. All students who first enroll in one academic unit at CU-Boulder and who subsequently transfer to another unit are required to meet the MAPS specified for the new unit, irrespective of their completion of MAPS units in their previous college or school.
  5. Students in double-degree programs must meet MAPS requirements of both degree-granting units.
  6. Students must consult with a CU-Boulder academic advisor (or read their college or school's academic publications) to determine which specific courses may be used to meet a MAPS requirement.

Deficiencies and Exceptions

You may be admitted to CU-Boulder even though you have not met all MAPS requirements. If that is the case, you will be required to complete the appropriate MAPS courses once you are enrolled, and the credits may be applied toward graduation. You may also complete missing MAPS course work in high school, at other colleges or universities, or through approved credit-by-examination programs. MAPS requirements not completed in high school or college are factored into the admission decision. Students who complete 50 percent or more of their secondary schooling and/or graduate from a non-U.S. system are exempt from MAPS.

Petitioning for Review

If you believe you have completed a MAPS category through high school course work, but have been assessed a deficiency by the admissions office, you have the right to petition for review of that course. If your first term at CU-Boulder is spring 2004 or later and you are an arts and sciences student, you should complete the High School Course MAPS Appeal Form and submit it to the Office of Admissions. Course descriptions and/or syllabi should be included with the petition. If you are an arts and sciences student admitted to CU-Boulder prior to spring 2004 or if you are requesting review of transfer credit from another college or university for MAPS credit, you should contact your academic advisor and submit the arts and sciences petition form to the appropriate office. If you are a student admitted to engineering, business, architecture or music, you should contact your respective advising office to petition for review of a MAPS course.

Special Transfer Types

  • Second Undergraduate Degree Students: If you have received a bachelor’s degree, you may apply for a second undergraduate degree at the University of Colorado Boulder. However, you should first explore various options in graduate study at the university. If you apply for a second undergraduate degree, you will follow transfer admission guidelines. You must apply to a specific major, and it cannot be the same major in which you received your first undergraduate degree; applications for open option or undetermined majors cannot be considered. If you wish to complete pre-requisite courses for a graduate program or do not plan to complete a second undergraduate degree, visit

    The Leeds School of Business and College of Media, Communication and Information do not admit students who have already completed an undergraduate degree. These students are strongly encouraged to investigate graduate study instead.