You are here

Minimum Academic Preparation Standards (MAPS)

If you graduated from high school in 1988 or later, we expect you to have completed courses that meet our minimum academic preparation standards (MAPS) before you enroll at CU-Boulder.

MAPS Requirements by College and School

If you meet all MAPS requirements before you enroll at CU-Boulder, you may be eligible for a four-year graduation guarantee in the College of Arts and Sciences or the College of Engineering and Applied Science.

Policies Concerning MAPS Requirements

The policies of the Boulder campus with respect to completing MAPS course work after enrollment are as follows:

  1. Appropriate missing MAPS course work is included in the hours for graduation.
  2. All course work toward fulfillment of the MAPS must be taken for a letter grade.
  3. It is strongly recommended that students enroll in and complete at least one MAPS course each term, beginning in the first term of enrollment, until such time as all MAPS are completed. This policy applies to new freshmen, to transfer students, and to students transferring from other academic units on the Boulder campus and from other campuses of the university. Some colleges or schools may impose a sanction if the student does not complete one course per semester toward meeting MAPS deficiencies.
  4. All students who first enroll in one academic unit at CU-Boulder and who subsequently transfer to another unit are required to meet the MAPS specified for the new unit, irrespective of their completion of MAPS units in their previous college or school.
  5. Students in double-degree programs must meet MAPS requirements of both degree-granting units.
  6. Students must consult with a CU-Boulder academic advisor (or read their college or school's academic publications) to determine which specific courses may be used to meet a MAPS requirement.

Deficiencies and Exceptions

You may be admitted to CU-Boulder even though you have not met all MAPS requirements. If that is the case, you will be required to complete the appropriate MAPS courses once you are enrolled, and the credits may be applied toward graduation. You may also complete missing MAPS course work in high school, at other colleges or universities, or through approved credit-by-examination programs. MAPS requirements not completed in high school or college are factored into the admission decision. Students who complete 50 percent or more of their secondary schooling and/or graduate from a non-U.S. system are exempt from MAPS.

Petitioning for Review

If you believe you have completed a MAPS category through high school course work, but have been assessed a deficiency by the admissions office, you have the right to petition for review of that course. If your first term at CU-Boulder is spring 2004 or later and you are an arts and sciences or business student, you should complete the High School Course MAPS Appeal Form and submit it to the Office of Admissions. Course descriptions and/or syllabi should be included with the petition. If you are an arts and sciences student admitted to CU-Boulder prior to spring 2004 or if you are requesting review of transfer credit from another college or university for MAPS credit, you should contact your academic advisor and submit the arts and sciences petition form to the appropriate office. If you are a student admitted to engineering, architecture, or music, you should contact your respective advising office to petition for review of a MAPS course.