You are here

Admitted International Students

If you have been admitted to CU-Boulder as an International student, download the International Admitted Student packet and use this page as a guide to completing the admissions process and confirming your enrollment.

Next Steps After Admission

Submit any remaining required documentation, if applicable. Even if you have been admitted academically, you may still be missing required items for immigration documentation, such as your TOEFL/IELTS score, financial statement form and/or a copy of your passport. Check your status in your MyCUBoulder account to see if you have any missing items.

Confirm your intent to enroll on the ‘Confirm’ tab in your MyCUBoulder account. Read the confirmation instructions carefully and pay attention to the confirmation deadline and the deposit amount. All admitted international students are required to pay the $200 confirmation deposit.  You must pay by credit card or electronic check to confirm your enrollment online through your MyCUBoulder account.*  The electronic check option will only work if the funds are drawn from a US bank account.

Your $200 confirmation deposit is not refundable if you confirm your intent to enroll and later decide not to attend CU Boulder. It will take at least 1 business day for your confirmation to be processed and added to your account. If you would like to defer your admission or if you will not be attending CU-Boulder, you can notify us in your MyCUBoulder account under the 'Confirm' tab.

*There is a 2.75% service fee assessed with credit card payments, which comes out to $5.50 for the $200 confirmation deposit. The confirmation fee and the service fee are nonrefundable. If you cannot pay by credit card or electronic check, you will need to e-mail Diane Gerwig at  Our International Admissions Team will work with you to receive payment and confirm your enrollment.

Explore housing options. All first-year students are required to live on campus for two academic-year semesters, provided that space is available. For transfer students, it is optional to live on campus, but most international transfer students prefer this option. Learn more about your housing options (such as Residential Academic Programs or Living and Learning Communities) at You need to confirm your intent to enroll and activate your IdentiKey before you can apply for housing. It typically takes three business days after you activate your IdentiKey before you can apply for housing.

Keep your contact information up to date. It is critical that you notify us immediately of any change to your e-mail address or your permanent and/or mailing address(es). To update your address(es), go to the “My Information” section in your MyCUBoulder account or contact the admissions office at +1-303-492-6301 or

If you decide not to attend CU-Boulder and would like to cancel your application or admission, please send an e-mail to to notify us of your cancellation.

Next Steps After Confirmation

Take note of your arrival date: All F-1/J-1 students MUST arrive no later than the date listed below for the term you will begin at CU-Boulder, as reflected on the I-20/DS-2019.

Spring 2015
January 4, 2015

Summer 2015
May 31, 2015

Fall 2015
August 14, 2015

Obtaining your immigration document. Most international students attend CU-Boulder on an F-1 student visa. In order to obtain an F-1 visa you will need a Form I-20 issued by our school. Unless you are already in the U.S. on an F-1 visa, your I-20 will be issued about 2-3 business days after you confirm your intent to enroll.  We can send you this form one of two ways:

  • Standard mail, which can take 3-8 weeks for delivery depending on where you live.  
  • Express mail, at your expense.

If you are interested in the Express mail option please e-mail within one week of confirming your intent to enroll and we will provide you with the information to place the order.  Otherwise, we will automatically send you this form by regular post.

If you are already in the U.S. on an F-1 visa, you will need to transfer your immigration record from your current school to us before we will issue you an I-20. To do so please follow the instructions on the Immigration Transfer Form. We will contact you about your I-20 on or just before the SEVIS release date secured by the international advisors at your current school.

New J-1 students should contact International Student and Scholar Services at to coordinate the transfer of your immigration status. If you will be attending CU-Boulder on a different visa type we will not be issuing you an immigration document.

Read important information from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). Now that you have completed the admission process, you will begin to work with our International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office. ISSS will provide you with important information about immigration, preparing for arrival, international student orientation and much more.

Apply for your student visa. Step-by-step instructions on the student visa process are provided in your Information for Admitted Students packet and on the ISSS website.

Activate your IdentiKey. Your IdentiKey is your username for all CU-Boulder online services as a student. It is important for you, and only you, to set your IdentiKey password and remember it since it is your key to register for housing, new student welcome programs and classes.  Your IdentiKey will also allow you to log in to the campus portal, MyCUInfo, your secure entry point for CU-Boulder online services and information that you need as a student.

In order to activate your IdentiKey, you will need a 4-digit PIN to use in place of a social security number. This PIN will be sent to you from the Office of Information Technology (OIT) within 3-5 business days after you are admitted. If you have not received your PIN number after 5 business days, please contact to request it.

It can take up to 3 business days for your IdentiKey activation to be completed before you can access the housing application. Activate your IdentiKey now.

Apply for housing. All freshman students are required to live on campus for two academic-year semesters, provided that space is available. For transfer students, it is optional to live on campus, but most international transfer students prefer this option. Learn more about your housing options and apply for housing at Housing reservations are processed in the order they are received. The earlier you apply the more likely you are to get one of your top choices. Please note that the $300 housing deposit must be paid at the time of application.

You will need to activate your IdentiKey (see above) before you can apply for housing. It typically takes 3 business days after you activate your IdentiKey before you can apply for housing.

Learn more about new student welcome programs. Visit the New Student Welcome programs website for more information.

Complete online pre-arrival course. Shortly after you confirm your intent to enroll, ISSS will be registering you in a Desire2Learn (D2L) Online Pre-Arrival Orientation course. This course is a review of what you need to know and do prior to starting at CU-Boulder and MUST be completed before arriving on campus.

Make travel arrangements. You may arrive in the U.S. up to 30 days before the report date on your DS-2019 or I-20. Check the mandatory report dates at the bottom of this page before making your travel plans. You will also need to arrange transportation to the campus and any temporary housing accommodations. Transportation to campus is not provided by the university. More information is available on the ISSS website and in the online pre-arrival course.

Submit your final transcripts to the Office of Admissions. Arrange to have your final official transcripts and graduation certificate (if applicable) sent by the school or appropriate official to the admissions office as soon as they are available or bring them to the admissions office upon arrival. The Office of Admissions reserves the right to cancel your admission if your final transcripts do not reflect academic achievement similar to our assessment at the time of admission. Official transcripts may also be e-mailed to from your school. Transcripts emailed from a student will not be accepted.