Credit for Course Work or Exams

Students applying to CU-Boulder have the opportunity to earn college credit before enrollment. CU-Boulder accepts credit from AP/IB exams, college course work taken concurrently while in high school, and limited CLEP credit. Earning college credit while in high school is a great way to help offset some of your estimated cost of attendance. Students are highly encouraged to explore credit for course work options while in high school. For more information on how credit is transferred to CU-Boulder and what credit can be accepted please see the links below.

CU-Boulder participates in the Advanced Placement program of the College Board. Over one-third of Boulder's entering freshmen submit Advanced Placement (AP) test scores each year. Official scores must be sent to the admissions office directly from the College Board. For specific equivalencies, see the Advanced Placement chart.

If you took college-level courses while enrolled in high school, you may be able to transfer the credit to CU-Boulder. Only courses taken at a college or university of recognized standing with grades of C- or better are accepted for transfer. All college-level work will be evaluated in accordance with CU-Boulder transfer credit guidelines. College-level work taken concurrently with a high school program may be used to satisfy the Minimum Academic Preparation Standards requirements. You must have an official college transcript sent directly to the Office of Admissions in order for transfer credit to be evaluated.

The International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma programs provide pre-university study. IB examinations, whether leading to a full IB diploma or to an IB certificate, often qualify students for advanced standing at CU-Boulder. In general, credit is granted for approved IB examinations at the higher level with a score of 4 or better. Students admitted to the University of Colorado Boulder who have graduated from high school with an International Baccalaureate Diploma shall be granted 24 semester hours of college credit. This credit will be applied toward degree requirements ONLY if approved by the college or school.  Depending on the student’s degree program, some of the 24 credits may not be applicable towards degree requirements.  No CU-Boulder tuition will be charged for these credits and the 24 credits will only be granted if the student receives a score of 4 or better on an examination administered as part of the IB Diploma program. If the student scores less than 4 on each IB subject test, the credit hours granted will be reduced accordingly. Official scores must be sent to the admissions office directly from the IB organization. For specific equivalencies, see the International Baccalaureate chart.