You are here
Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology (MCDB)
The graduate program in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology (MCDB) is designed to provide students with diverse opportunities for acquiring a strong foundation in molecular biology of RNA and DNA, molecular genetics, cell motility and cytoskeleton, cell membranes, and developmental genetics and applying it toward the generation of new knowledge through research. Topics of current research include: RNA structure and functions, astrobiology, control of gene expression, control of the cell cycle, assembly and function of the cytoskeleton and intracellular organelles, signal transduction, genetic control of development in Drosophila (flies), C. elegans (worms), and mice.
Requires 30 hours of approved graduate course work, in addition to the minimum 30 hours of dissertation credit hours required by the Graduate School, three laboratory rotations, two semesters of teaching; successful completion of a preliminary and comprehensive exam; and a successful dissertation defense and presentation of a departmental seminar. There is no foreign language requirement.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university.
- Have an undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.00.
- Have completed undergraduate course work in organic chemistry, biochemistry, mathematics through calculus, general physics, general biology, cell biology, developmental biology, and genetics.
- GRE general test scores are required. Submission of the GRE subject score (Biochemistry, Biology, Cell and Molecular Biology; Biology; or Chemistry) is not required.
- Submit three letters of recommendation.
- Submit one official transcript from every college attended. Include transcripts for any schools where transfer credit was given.
Minimum Standards for Applicants
Successful candidates are expected to have some research experience.
MCDB is committed to supporting all of its students.
University of Colorado Boulder
Department of MCD Biology
Graduate Program Assistant
Boulder, CO 80309-0347