You are here

Application Requirements

Online Application For Admission

The online application is the university's preferred method of receiving application materials. It provides comprehensive information and is easy to use. If you are unable to use the online application, you must contact your department to request paper materials.


Nonrefundable $70 Application Fee

The application fee can be paid online via credit card at the time you submit your application or in the form of an international money order or a check drawn from a U.S. bank and made payable to the University of Colorado after you submit your application (or if using a printed application). If submitting a check or money order, include your full name and birth date so that it can be properly credited to your application.

Official or Certified Copies of all College or University Records

Official or Certified Copies of all College or University Records, if applicable.

China-Every page of each document must bear an original stamp or seal of the institution. Students must submit transcripts and diplomas in both the native language and English and must submit separate diplomas showing every degree awarded.

India-Every page of each document must bear an original stamp or seal of the institution showing that it is attested by the registrar or appropriate school official. Students must submit individual mark sheets for each semester or year, and must submit separate diplomas showing every degree awarded.

Spain and all Latin American countries-must submit transcripts and diplomas in both the native language and English and, as appropriate, must submit the official Titulo or Grado/Grau diploma for every degree awarded.

Include any official transcripts, mark sheets, or grade reports, and any certificates, degrees, diplomas, or statements of graduation or completion from each college or university attended, regardless of the length of attendance, whether or not courses were completed, and whether or not you believe the record will affect your admission or transfer of credit. If you are currently enrolled, send all available records at this time, including courses in progress. Final records are required upon completion of the course work or program.  For the following countries, only the official English language transcript is required:

Bangladesh, British Commonwealth countries, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Iran, Israel, Japan, Jordan University of Science & Technology, Korea, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sudan, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey (for any university if the student’s major is taught in English), United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.

For all other countries, all records should be submitted in the native language with original stamps.  All credentials written in languages other than English must be accompanied by a literal certified English translation.

All academic documents received by the University of Colorado Boulder become the property of the university. The university scans all transcripts into an electronic application file and destroys the paper copy shortly after that. We are unable to return any original or official transcripts to the student. If you will have trouble replacing your transcripts or any of your academic documents, please contact the International Admissions Team at for possible alternatives to sending your original or expensive documents. This does not include transcripts from U.S. schools, which must be official and must be sent to our office directly from the U.S. school.

For information on where to send transcripts please see the Where to Send Application Materials page.

Supplementary Materials

A number of departments require supplementary materials from applicants. If you are mailing in supplementary materials to support your application, clearly mark the materials with your full legal name, the department to which you are applying, contents, and purpose for which they are being submitted. 

The International Admissions Team also prefers to reference your passport before issuing your immigration documents. If you already have a passport, please make an electronic scan (PDF) and attach it to your application as an “additional application item” in the "Upload Documents" section of the online application. If you do not yet have a passport, please submit the scan once it is available to


GRE Standardized Test Scores

The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for admission to many graduate departments and is considered valuable for all others. Please check department pages to determine specific test requirements. The GRE college code for CU Boulder is 4841. Direct any inquiries regarding these examinations to the department in which you intend to study.

If you are applying to the Leeds School of Business, you are required to present scores from the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). The GMAT college code for CU Boulder is 4841.

The Ministry of Education, the American Cultural Center, or educational institutions in your home country are sources for this testing information as well.

Letters of Recommendation

Each program requires Letters of Recommendations but vary in the number of letters required. Review the program overview page for the required amount. 


Required for Immigration Documents

Official Test Scores on the TOEFL/IELTS

While some departments might be able to offer admission prior to receiving your English proficiency results, it is not possible to issue the necessary immigration documents until we have this proof of English proficiency.

You are not required to submit a score for the TOEFL or IELTS if,

  1. Your native language is English, or
  2. You have completed at least one year of full-time study at a U.S. institution, or at an institution in a country where English is the native language, at the time you apply, and within two years from your desired admission term.

NOTE: Please consult your department of study as their requirements may differ.  The Economics Department does not accept IELTS.

Request that the testing agency submit your scores directly to the Office of Admissions. For more information on the TOEFL, go to The CU-Boulder college code for the TOEFL is 4841. For more information on the IELTS, go to CU-Boulder does not accept any other tests as proof of English proficiency, nor does completion of an English language program satisfy this requirement.

Financial Support Statement

Proof of Funding, Financial Statement and Required Documentation: International applicants needing, or continuing in, F-1 or J-1 status are required to certify proof of adequate funding. Please fill out the International Financial Statement by downloading the form below, and return the completed form, with the appropriate bank statement, directly to the Office of Admissions (address below). This form does NOT need to be submitted prior to the application deadline. If your studies are fully funded by your department, then it will not be necessary to complete the form. If your studies are partially funded by the department, or if you are not receiving funds from the department, then we will need this form completed and submitted before we are able to issue you your I-20 (provided that other immigration regulations have also been met).

Please make sure that you include a copy of your application with the form.  The form and supporting bank statement can be scanned and emailed directly to as long as you include your name and date of birth.  If you have any questions about this form, or the international aspect of your application, please email the International Admissions Office at


Where to Send Your Materials:

All International Applicants must send all parts of their application, transcripts, supporting credentials, and correspondence in reference to your application directly to:

Office of Admissions
University of Colorado Boulder
Regent Administrative Center 125
65 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0065