You are here

Tuition & Finances

While voted one of the "100 Best Value Colleges for 2011"  by The Princeton Review and USA Today, CU-Boulder is also one of the nation's most respected research universities. As you consider graduate school costs, we hope you'll explore the many resources we offer to help you meet your financial needs and achieve your college goals. Graduate students may benefit from scholarships, fellowships, teaching and research positions, grants, work-study awards, and other financial assistance.

Tuition & Costs

In addition to classroom instruction, your tuition supports faculty, student services, campus operations, and campus administration. For in-state resident students, tuition is supplemented by funds from the state of Colorado. 

Up-to-date tuition information and rates are available on the Bursar's Office website.

 International Applicants

Proof of Funding, Financial Statement and Required Documentation:  In order to satisfy the immigration regulations necessary to obtain, or continue on, an F-1 or J-1 student visa, international students need to demonstrate "proof of funding" for their studies at CU-Boulder and "proof of English proficiency." 

If your department accepts you and offers you full funding, the Office of International Admissions will verify that it satisfies the “proof of funding” requirement, and you will not need to complete any further paperwork.

But if you are not offered funding, or only partial funding, you will need to complete this International Financial Statement form and submit the required bank statement demonstrating the necessary amount of funds to the Office of International Admissions before this immigration regulation can be satisfied. Please include a copy of your application with the form. If you receive only partial funding, an international admissions officer will let you know directly by email how much additional funding you'll be required to demonstrate.

Your proof of funding information is used for immigration purposes only.  The admissions decision will be made by your department independently of this information. This form does NOT need to be submitted prior to the application deadline.

We cannot issue any immigration documents (the I-20 or DS-2019) until both “proof of English proficiency” and “proof of funding” have been fulfilled.

If you have any questions about this form, or the international aspect of your application, please email the International Admissions Office at  

Tuition Classification

Information for petitioning for in-state tuition classification, as defined by Colorado law, is in the tuition classification guidelines available on the Office of the Registrar's website. Read the guidelines carefully. If you still have questions about your particular circumstances, call to make an appointment with a staff member.

 International students are considered out-of-state students.

Financial Assistance


The University of Colorado Boulder offers fellowship support to entering and continuing regular degree-seeking graduate students on the basis of academic promise or academic success. Students are nominated by their home departments.

Teaching and Research Assistantships

Many departments provide graduate students with teaching or research assistantships. These appointments provide a salary and tuition waiver, as well as a partial insurance benefit.

Training Grants

Departments may provide students with funding through training grants, providing graduate students the opportunity to work closely and collaboratively with mentors and other graduate students on specific, long-term research projects. Primarily science, engineering, and social science departments offer this type of grant. Students should consult directly with their home department to find out what opportunities are available in this area.


Information regarding loans is available at CU-Boulder's Office of Financial Aid. Domestic U.S. students applying for federal financial aid should submit the graduate version of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1. Please note that you must be enrolled in at least four semester hours to be eligible to receive federal or state financial aid or to be eligible for a deferment on any of your federal loans.

Student Employment

CU-Boulder's Student Employment Office posts an average of 600 part-time, on-campus and off-campus jobs for students on myCUinfo. Many domestic U.S. graduate students who qualify for federal financial aid may also qualify for federal work-study awards. Be sure to submit your FAFSA by the priority date of April 1 and request your employer put you on the work-study wait list as soon as you receive any federal financial aid.  For further information on the work-study program or to verify your eligibility for an award, call the Student Employment Office at 303-492-7349.

 International students may verify their employment eligibility and restrictions through International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).

Additional Funding

Additional funding may be sought from national, international, industrial, or foundation sources. A partial list of such sources is available on the Graduate School website. Other avenues to learn about these opportunities include career counseling offices and directories of funding sources such as the Annual Register of Grant Support and the Grants Register in university libraries.

For continuing graduate students, additional funding opportunities may be researched through the Graduate School website, the United Government of Graduate Students website, and your department.

 International Applicants

The main form of funding through CU-Boulder for international graduate students is from the department to which you are applying. Visit their website or contact them directly with inquiries.

Department Assistantships and Graduate School Fellowships
To find out more about assistantships and fellowship opportunities, you must contact the department to which you are applying. You may also find more information about funding on the department’s website. Visit the academic section to search for your department of interest.

Online Resources
eduPASS (external website)

Print Resources
IIE Books has several print resources for purchase. We recommend Funding For U.S. Study: A Guide for Citizens of Other Nations, which provides current information on grants and fellowships for study abroad.
IIE Books
Institute of International Education
P.O. Box 371
Annapolis Junction, MD 20701-0301
Phone: 1-800-445-0443