You are here

Establish Colorado Residency for In-State Tuition

If you do not already qualify for in-state tuition, you can become eligible after one full year of living in Colorado. To qualify for in-state tuition you must complete a Petition for In-State Tuition Classification. The petition requires proof of residence in Colorado for the entire year, such as a signed lease, as well as documentation that you have registered to vote, obtained a Colorado driver’s license, registered your vehicle, and filed Colorado state income taxes. For more information on the process, visit the Office of the Registrar.

For general information on vehicle registration, obtaining a driver's licence, etc., visit

Visit the Boulder DMV to obtain a Colorado license, register your vehicle, and register to vote!
Boulder DMV Office
2850 Iris Ave., #F
Boulder, CO 80301 (Northeast end of 28th and Diagonal Plaza)
M–F, 8 a.m.– 5 p.m.

Your vote is important! Whether it’s for the University of Colorado Student Union (UCSU), local, state, or national candidates, or issues, exercise your right to vote.
If you want to register to vote in the State of Colorado, you must meet the following requirements:
• Eighteen years of age or older on the date of the next election
• A citizen of the United States
• A resident of your precinct in which you intend to vote at least 30 days before the election
• Registered to vote at least 29 days before the election
You can register to vote in Colorado online at
If you are not a Colorado resident and you are registered to vote in your home state, you can still vote in your state’s elections by requesting a ballot be mailed to your Colorado address.

If you are a Colorado registered voter who will be absent from the state during an election, you can request your ballot be mailed to you—known as a mail-in ballot—by visiting For complete election information in Boulder County, visit or call 303-413-7740.