Financial Aid Home


DEC 20 

Last Day to Work Fall Work-Study

DEC 24-25 

Campus Closed

Summer Financial Aid FAQs

How much financial aid can I receive for summer school?

Much like during the academic year, the amount of aid is determined by the number of credits you are enrolled in and your aid eligibility. Summer aid is generally restricted to your remaining eligibility from the 2014-15 academic year for Federal Direct Loans and the Federal Pell Grant. Federal Direct PLUS loans and work-study may also be available.

When will I receive my summer financial aid refund?

Financial aid funds are applied to student's bills before classes begin, as long as all the necessary steps for getting the awards are in place (for example, Master Promissory Notes for loans). If any funds are left over after the bill is paid down to $0, refunds will be issued from the Bursar's Office. View the refund schedule.

What happens to my financial aid if I add or drop classes?

In order to get loans in summer, you need to enroll at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduates, 4 credits for graduates). If you change enrollment, it may result in adjustments to or cancellation of the financial aid offered. If you become ineligible for aid, you could have to give back funds you've already received. Courses that do not earn credit toward a degree do not count toward enrollment.

What is the last day to apply for federal student and/or parent loans?

We will close the online Summer Aid Application in mid July. If you are considering taking summer classes and need financial aid, be sure to apply before that date. Once the Summer Application is done, the most common error students make is not applying for aid and completing forms before the deadline. We are only allowed to give loans to students during the time you are attending classes. In other words, after your summer class has ended, you cannot get federal student or parent loans.


How do I apply for summer work-study?

Summer work-study is popular, but funds are limited, so you should apply as soon as possible using the Summer Aid Application. If you earned work-study during the 2014-15 academic year, you will be given first priority, but awards are never guaranteed. To learn more, visit our student employment web page.

Can I have a work-study job in the summer if I am not enrolled?

You do not have to be enrolled in summer to receive work-study, as long as you were here in the spring, and you will be back in the fall. If you will not be enrolled for summer, you must be currently enrolled in Spring 2015 and have Fall 2015 registration by May 10, 2015.

Do I have to save my summer work-study earnings to pay for next year's tuition?

Students who earn summer work-study may be required to save a portion of their earnings to pay for next year's expenses. This amount, called "Expected Summer Savings" is assessed if your summer work-study award is greater than your summer cost of attendance. The "Expected Summer Savings" will appear as a resource on the 2015-16 financial aid award offer. Summer Savings can apply for students who are in classes, as well as those who are not. The Student Employment office can answer any questions about how this might impact your 2015-16 financial aid.

How do I find a summer job?

If you are a current student, you can access the online job board through MyCUInfo. Learn more about how to Find A Job!

Am I eligible for summer financial aid if I'm enrolled in a Study Abroad program?

CU-Boulder degree-seeking students participating in a Study Abroad program must complete the online Summer Aid Application and be enrolled in a CU-Boulder Study Abroad program to be eligible for financial aid. Exception: Students in the College of Architecture and Planning who are enrolled in the UCD Study Abroad programs may be eligible for financial aid from CU-Boulder after completing the necessary application process.

How will my spring grades affect my summer financial aid?

Federal law requires students receiving financial aid to make satisfactory academic progress. Students determined to not be meeting minimum requirements during the spring semester may lose summer aid eligibility even if aid has already been awarded. Students may file an appeal with the Office of Financial Aid and, if approved, may regain financial aid eligibility.

What about taking classes through Continuing Education, or self-paced courses?

Main campus students can enroll in Continuing Education (CE) courses (including self-paced courses) just like any other semester- but you should keep a couple things in mind as you make summer plans:

  • For resident students: CE courses are not eligible for College Opportunity Fund (COF).
  • If you are thinking about taking a self-paced class, you must finish it within the summer semester to stay in good financial aid standing.

For details, visit Correspondence (Self-Paced) Courses.

Back to top