IRS Data Retrieval
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to retrieve their IRS tax return information directly into the FAFSA. For step-by-step instructions for using the tool, view the video or instructions below.
*Please wait for the video to load. It may take a few minutes based on your internet connection.
Step-by-step written instructions:
- File your taxes (electronically is the quickest method)
- After 1-2 weeks, log in to www.fafsa.ed.gov/
- Click on Make FAFSA Corrections, enter PIN and password
- Navigate to the Financial Information tab
- If you can answer "No" to all of the questions, the tax filer will then enter their PIN and click on Link to IRS
- Once you are transferred to the IRS website, fill in the information exactly as it was entered on the tax return
- Click Transfer Now to go back to the Financial Information screen
- Review the data that was transferred and make any necessary corrections
- Navigate to the Sign & Submit tab to submit the corrected FAFSA