IRS Data Retrieval
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to retrieve their IRS tax return information directly into the FAFSA. Using this tool saves you time and reduces the number of documents that must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid. For step-by-step instructions for using the tool, view the video below.
*Please wait for the video to load. It may take a few minutes based on your internet connection.
What if I haven't filed taxes yet?
If estimated income was reported on the FAFSA, visit fafsa.gov and select submit a correction and then use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool after taxes are filed. This feature will be available to e-filers within 10 business days and 6 to 8 weeks for paper filers.
If a tax extension was requested, submit IRS Form 4868 along with W-2's or statement of income to our office. After taxes are filed, submit a federal tax return transcript to our office.
Tax-filers who are not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
- Filing a tax return as "Married Filing Separately"
- Filing a tax return as "Head of Household" when married
- Filing an amended return
- Filing a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return
What if I have trouble using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
If you have been asked to complete the IRS Data Retrieval Tool and are ineligible to do so, you may submit a federal tax return transcript. To obtain a copy:
- Download and print your transcript immediately at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript
- Or call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946
When can I request my Tax Return Transcripts?
When you are able to request a copy of your Tax Return Transcripts depends on if you owed taxes at the time of filing and whether you filed electronically or by paper.
|Electronic Filing||Paper Filing|
|Filer who either did not owe an amount, or is expecting a refund||2-3 weeks after submission||8-11 weeks later|
|Filer who owed an amount & made a full payment while filing||2-3 weeks after submission||IRS starts processing tax return in June, Tax Return Transcript requests can be made 2-3 weeks later|
|Filer who owed an amount & made a full payment after filing||3-4 weeks after payment is processed by the IRS||IRS starts processing tax return in June, Tax Return Transcript requests can be made 2-3 weeks later|
|Filer who owed an amount & has not yet paid in full||IRS starts processing tax return in May, Tax Return Transcript requests can be made 2-3 weeks later||IRS starts processing tax return in June, Tax Return Transcript requests can be made 2-3 weeks later|
Step-by-step written instructions:
- File your taxes (electronically is the quickest method)
- After 1-2 weeks, log in to www.fafsa.ed.gov/
- Click on Make FAFSA Corrections, enter PIN and password
- Navigate to the Financial Information tab
- If you can answer "No" to all of the questions, the tax filer will then enter their PIN and click on Link to IRS
- Once you are transferred to the IRS website, fill in the information exactly as it was entered on the tax return
- Click Transfer Now to go back to the Financial Information screen
- Review the data that was transferred and make any necessary corrections
- Navigate to the Sign & Submit tab to submit the corrected FAFSA