Financial Aid Home


DEC 20 

Last Day to Work Fall Work-Study

DEC 24-25 

Campus Closed

General Financial Aid FAQ's

How do I apply for financial aid?

You start by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and entering our school code of 001370. Learn more about how to apply.

How will I know what documents I need to submit to complete my financial aid application?

Our office will send the student an email to let them know what (if any) additional documents are needed. These requested items will be listed as a "To Do" item in the student portal (MyCUBoulder for incoming students, MyCUInfo for current students).

What is verification?

Verification is the process established by the Department of Education to check the accuracy of aid applications. We primarily verify income data and will submit corrections to the FAFSA if we find any discrepancies.

Back to top

How is my financial aid package calculated?

Basically, we calculate your eligibility for aid from the information entered on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Learn more about how aid is determined.

When will I receive my financial aid award offer?

Students will receive notice of an official award offer once our office has received all the requested documentation. New freshman and transfer students will be mailed a planning letter with estimated financial aid beginning in March. When the student has submitted all requested documentation to finalize their financial aid, they will receive an email from our office to direct them to their student portal.  Learn more about how to view your financial aid online.

I’m a parent, why haven’t I received any financial aid notifications, such as award letters, loan information or missing documents?

The official means of communication is the student’s CU email account. We will send emails to the student regarding any and all financial aid business. It is the responsibility of the student to keep the parent informed about any correspondence they receive from us. It is important for students to check their email frequently or set up an auto-forward to ensure that they receive our notifications.

Back to top

I filed for financial aid, but I did not list CU-Boulder on my FAFSA application. How does CU get my FAFSA information?

Go to, click on 'make corrections' and add CU-Boulder (001370) to the list of school codes on your application and submit a correction to your FAFSA information. You will need your federal PIN.

What types of financial aid can be offered?

Financial aid is funded from a variety of sources such as federal and state governing agencies, private donors, and institutional resources. Learn more about types of aid for undergraduate students and types of aid for graduate students.

If my parents are divorced or separated, whose financial data should be used when I'm completing the FAFSA application?

If your natural parents are separated or divorced, use the natural parent with whom you lived the most in the past 12 months. If you lived with neither parent, or lived with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent that provided the most financial support to you over the past 12 months. If that parent has remarried, federal regulations require that you must also include the stepparent's financial information on the application and parent and stepparent should report themselves as married on the FAFSA.

Example: You have been living with your mother and stepfather for the past 12 months. You would use your mother's income, stepfather's income, and you would report yourself, your mother, your stepfather, and any other children that they support on the FAFSA as the number in family size.

Back to top