- Ph.D. Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University, 1997
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Seoul National University, 1993
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Seoul National University, 1991
- Outstanding Performance Awards, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Technology Transfer Award, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- R&D 100 Nomination for Fiber Optic Hydrogen Sensors, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Employee of the Month, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Nanostructured Materials for Energy Applications
- Microbatteries for MEMs
- Miniature Fuel cells
- Fiber-optic hydrogen sensors
My primary research interests have concentrated on nanostructured materials for energy applications. My laboratory expertise includes thin-film deposition (evaporation, sputtering, PE-CVD, sol-gel synthesis, etc.), electro-optic characterization, AC impedance spectroscopy and electrochemical deposition and analyses techniques. During my ten years tenure at National Renewable Energy Laboratory, I have been engaged in the research and development of a variety of technical subjects: solid-state thin-film lithium batteries, nano-composite supercapacitors for energy storage, ion-insertion mechanisms in advanced materials, fundamental aspects of electrochromic window degradation, fiber-optic hydrogen sensors based on chemochromic actuation and novel opto-electronic phenomena involving nano-scale materials.
- S-H. Lee, R. Despnade, P.A. Parilla, K.M. Jones, A. H. Mahan and A.C. Dillon, “Crystalline WO3 Nanorods Yield Electrochromic Breakthrough”, Advanced Materials, 18, 763 (2006).
- C. L. Perkins, S.-H. Lee, X. Li, S. E. Asher, and T. J. Coutts, “Identification of Nitrogen Chemical States in N-doped ZnO via X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy,” J. Appl. Phys. 97, 034907 (2005).
- P. Liu, S.-H. Lee, Y. Yan, T. Gennett, B. J. Landi, A. C. Dillon, and M. J. Heben, “Electrochemical transformation of single-walled carbon nanotube/Nafion composite,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, 7(11), A421 (2004).
- P. Liu, S.-H. Lee, C. E. Tracy, Y. Yan, and J. A. Turner, “Preparation and Lithium Insertion Properties of Mesoporous Vanadium Oxide,” Advanced Materials, 14, 27 (2002).
- S.-H. Lee, H. M. Cheong, C. E. Tracy, A. Mascarenhas, J. R. Pitts, G. Jorgensen, and S. K. Deb, “Influence of Microstructure on the Chemical Diffusion of Lithium Ions in Amorphous Lithiated Tungsten Oxide Films,” Electrochimca Acta, 46, 3415 (2001).
- S.-H. Lee, H. M. Cheong, C. E. Tracy, A. Mascarenhas, J. R. Pitts, G. Jorgensen, and S. K. Deb, “Alternating Current Impedance and Raman Spectroscopic Study on Electrochromic a-WO3 Films,” Appl. Phys. Lett, 76(26), 3908 (2000).