- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Colorado-Boulder, 1983
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Colorado-Boulder, 1978
- B.ChE. Chemical Engineering, City College of New York, 1973
- Excellence Award in Chemical Process Engineering, Rohm & Haas (1974)
- Division Director's Club Award for Innovation and Intrapreneuring, E.I duPont Inc. (1984)
- Outstanding Performance Awards (multiple), NIST (1988-2000)
- Co-Chair Advanced Technology Program: Selective Membrane Platforms, NIST (1998)
- President, North American Membrane Society (2004)
- Editorial board Separation Science and Technology (1998-present).
- Modification, formation, characterization, and performance of membranes
- Electrokinetic processes
- Water treatment and supply
- Biomass-to-fuels process development
The membrane science and technology groupsís research interests include broad aspects of materials and membrane science and technology with applications to separations. Our current research efforts focus on electromembrane processes; biorefinery separations; biofuels production; and characterization of membrane materials and complex fluid mixtures.
- Little, C.A.E.; Pellegrino, J.; Russek, S. Microfluidic platform for magnetic nanoparticle trapping and detection. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics (2012) accepted.
- Maruf, S.H.; Wang. L.; Greenberg, A.R., Pellegrino, J.; Ding, Y. Use of nanoimprinted surface patterns to mitigate colloidal deposition on ultrafiltration membranes. J. Membr. Sci. (2012) DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2012.10.059.
- Koenig, S.P.; Wang, L.; Pellegrino, J.; Bunch, J.S. Selective molecular sieving through porous graphene. Nature Nanotechnology 7 (2012) 728-732.
- Rickman, M.; Pellegrino, J.; Hock, J.; Shaw, S.; Freeman, B. Life-cycle and techno-economic analysis of utility-connected algae systems. Algal Res. (2012) accepted.
- Rickman, M.; Pellegrino, J.; Davis, R. Fouling phenomena during membrane filtration of microalgae. J. Membr. Sci. 423-424 (2012) 33-42.
- Shrestha, A.; Pellegrino, J.; Husson, S.; Wickramasinghe, R. A modified porometry approach towards characterization of MF membranes. J. Membr. Sci. 421-422 (2012) 145-153.
- Woods, J; Pellegrino, J. Design approach and model applicability for membrane-based heat and mass transfer devices, Intl. J. Heat and Mass Transfer. (2012) accepted.
- Guerra, K.; Pellegrino, J. Development of a techno-economic model to compare ceramic and polymeric membranes, Sep. Sci. Technol. (2012) DOI:10.1080/01496395.2012.690808.
- Maruf, S.H.; Ahn, D.U.; Pellegrino, J.; Kilgore, J.P.; Greenberg, A.R.; Ding, Y. Relationship between barrier layer Tg and TFC membrane performance: effect of chlorine treatment, J. Membr. Sci. 405-6 (2012) 167-175.
- Guerra, K.; Pellegrino, J.; Drewes, J. E. Impact of operating conditions on permeate flux and process economics for cross flow ceramic membrane ultrafiltration of surface water, Sep. Pur. Technol. 87 (2012) 47-53.