- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1986
- M. S. Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, June 1983.
- B.S.E. Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Magna Cum Laude, May 1981.
- Winner, Gallery of Fluid Motion, American Physical Society Division of Fluid Dynamics Annual Meeting, 2003, 2006
- Mechanical Engineering Outstanding Service Award, CU Boulder, 2004-2005
- New Inventor of the Year Award, CU Boulder, 2004
- Best Paper PIC III, ASEE Annual Meeting, 2004
- Flow Visualization
- Fluids Education
- Experimental Vortex Dominated Fluid Dynamics
- Applications in Combustion and Biomechanics
My research interests center around pulsatile, vortex dominated flows with applications ranging from combustion to cardiac and pulmonary fluid dynamics. Three dimensional flows and vortex rings of varied shapes are longtime favorites. I love flow visualization: I teach a unique course on flow vis to art and engineering students, and I use flow vis in research whenever possible. Also, I have recently become interested in education research, and its application to fluids education.
- Natalie Ross, Jean Hertzberg, and Elizabeth Bradley, "Discretization of the vorticity field of a planar jet," Experiments in Fluids (4, 2010), http://www.springerlink.com/index/10.1007/s00348-010-0862-8.
- L.L. Liu, H.R. Zheng, F. Zhang, L.D.A. Williams, J.R. Hertzberg and R. Shandas, "Development of a custom designed echo particle image velocimetry system for multi- component hemodynamics measurement: system characterization and initial experiments", Physics in Medicine and Biology, Volume: 53 Issue: 5 Pages: 1397- 1412 (2008)
- P. Miller, K. Danielson, G.Moody, A.Slifka, E.Drexler and J.Hertzberg “Matching index of refraction using a diethyl phthalate/ethanol solution for in vitro cardiovascular models. Experiments in Fluids, Online First edition, June 20, 2006, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00348-006-0146-5. Hardcopy: 41:375-381, 206.
- N. Ross, E. Bradley, and J. Hertzberg, "Dynamics-Informed Data Assimilation in a Qualitative Fluids Model,"20th International Workshop on Qualitative Reasoning, 2006 http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~qr06/papers/ross-bradley-hertzberg-qr06.pdf
- Zheng, Hairong; Liu, Lingli; Williams, L.; Hertzberg, J.R.; Lanning, C.; Shandas, R. “Real time multicomponent echo particle image velocimetry technique for opaque flow imaging” Applied Physics Letters, v 88, n 26, 26 June 2006, p 261915-1-3 http://scitation.aip.org/journals/doc/APPLAB-ft/vol_88/iss_26/261915_1.html
- R.Wang, K.Hunter, J.Hertzberg, F.Lacour-Gayet, R.Shandas. “A Novel Microaxial Venous Assist Device for Enhancing Pulmonary Flow and Reducing Venous Pressure within the Total Cavopulmonary Connection: Computational Fluid Dynamic Studies”. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, V4, pp.238 (2006)
- Hertzberg, J. and Sweetman, A., “Images of Fluid Flow: Art and Physics by Students” Journal of Visualization, 8(2), pp. 145-152, 2005.