|Professor, Department of Geological Sciences
Ph.D., 1990, The Johns Hopkins University, Hydrogeology
M.S., 1985, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
B.S., 1982, Wuhan University of Technology, China
1993 - present, Assistant, Associate, Full Professor, University of Colorado – Boulder
2012 – 2014, Program Director, Hydrologic Sciences Program, National Science Foundation
2010 - 2011, Blaustein Visiting Professor, Department of Earth Environmental System Sciences, Stanford University
2010 - 2011, US Geological Survey – Menlo Park, CA, Visiting Scientist
2004, visiting scientist, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research, Perth, Australia
2003, visiting scientist, BP Institute for Multiphase Flow, Cambridge University, England
1990 – 1993, Hydrogeologist, S.S. Papadopulos & Assoc., Inc., Bethesda, MD
Selected Professional Service
Editor: Hydrogeology Journal, 2008 - 2012
Associate Editor: Journal of Ground Water, 2003 –2009, Geofluids, 2003 - present
Chair: Hydrogeology Program Planning Group, Ocean Drilling Programs, 1999-2002
Panels and committees: National Science Foundation, Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Energy, Integrated Ocean Drilling Programs.
Fluid injection and seismicity
Thermal energy storage in geologic media
Impact of climate change on water resources
Surface water and groundwater interaction
Tectonics, earthquake, and fluid flow, coupling fluid flow and rock deformation
Basin-scale fluid flow, heat transfer, and solute transport
Hydrogeological processes in coastal zones and active ocean margins
Geol 3030 - Introduction to Hydrogeology
Geol 5700 - Hydrogeology Seminar
- Matthew Weingarten, Shemin Ge, Jonathan Godt, Barbara Bekins, Justin Rubinstein, 2015, High-rate Injection Is Associated with the Increase in U.S. Mid-continent Seismicity, Science, 19 June 2015, Vol 348, Issue 6241.
- Arthur McGarr, Barbara Bekins, Nina Burkardt, James Dewey, Paul Earle, William Ellsworth, Shemin Ge, Steve Hickman, Austin Holland, Ernie Majer, Justin Rubinstein, Anne Sheehan, 2015, Coping with Earthquakes Induced by Fluid Injection, Science, 20 February 2015, Vol 347 Issue 6224.
- Shemin Ge and Steve Gorelick, 2015. Groundwater and Surface Water. In: Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences, 2nd edition, Vol 3, pp. 209–216, Gerald R. North (editor-in-chief), John Pyle and Fuqing Zhang (editors).
- Lyndsay Ball, Jonathan Caine, and Shemin Ge, 2014, Controls on groundwater flow in a semiarid folded and faulted intermountain basin, Water Resources Research, 50, DOI:10.1002/2013WR014451.
- Keranen, Kathleen, Matthew Weingarten, Geoffrey A. Abers, Barbara Bekins, Shemin Ge. 2014. Sharp increase since 2008 induced by massive wastewater injection. Science. 25 JULY 20, VOL 345 ISSUE 6195
- Matthew Weingarten and Shemin Ge, 2014, Insights into water level response to seismic waves: A 24 year high-fidelity record of global seismicity at Devils Hole, Geophysical Research Letters, 41, DOI:10.1002/2013GL058418.
- Nadine Reitman, Shemin Ge, Karl Mueller, 2014, Groundwater flow and its effect on salt dissolution in Gypsum Canyon watershed, Paradox Basin, southeast Utah, USA，Hydrogeology Journal，DOI 10.1007/s10040-014-1126-0
- Shemin Ge, 2013, A book review for Permafrost Hydrology By Ming-ko Woo, Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, 45(4), pp. 615–617.
- Vincent Post, J. Groen, Henk Kooi, Mark Person, Shemin Ge and Mike Edmunds, 2013, Offshore fresh groundwater reserves as a global phenomenon, Nature, 74 (504), 5 December 2013, p71-78, doi:10.1038/nature12858
- L. Yin, Y. Zhou, S. Ge, D. Wen, E. Zhang, J. Dong, 2013, Comparison and modification of methods for estimating evapotranspiration using diurnal groundwater level fluctuations in arid and semiarid regions, Journal of Hydrology, 496, p9-16.
- Brent V. Aigler • Shemin Ge, 2012, Evaluation of groundwater withdrawal from a mountain watershed, Colorado, USA, Environ Earth Sci DOI 10.1007/s12665-012-2022-3
- Rowe, K., E. Screaton, and S. Ge, (2012), Coupled Fluid-Flow and Deformation Modeling of the Frontal Thrust Region of the Kumano Basin Transect, Japan: Implications for Fluid Pressures and Decollement, Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems. doi:10.1029/2011GC003861
- Liang, S. S. Ge, and L. Wan, 2012, Characteristics and causes of vegetation variation in the source regions of the Yellow River, China, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 33(5), 1529–1542
- Jaramillo-Nieves, Lorna and Shemin Ge, 2012, Groundwater modeling of the Silver Bell Mountains, Arizona, USA, Environmental Earth Sciences, DOI: 10.1007/s12665-011-1418-9
- Y. Wang, S. Ge, M. Hill, C. Zheng, (editors) 2011, Calibration and Reliability in Groundwater Modeling, Managing Groundwater and the Environment, International Association of Hydrological Sciences Publication 341, 274pp.
- Ge., S., J. McKenzie, C.I. Voss, Q. Wu, 2011, Exchange of groundwater and surface‐water mediated by permafrost response to seasonal and long term air temperature variation, Geophysical Research Letters, 38, L14402, doi:10.1029/2011GL047911, L14402
- Wang, X.-S., X.-W. Jiang, L. Wan, S. Ge, and H. Li, in press, A new analytical solution of topography-driven flow in a drainage basin with depth-dependent anisotropy of permeability, Water Resources Research, doi:10.1029/2011WR010507.
- Ge, S., 2011, Comment on "Evidence that the 2008 Mw 7.9 Wenchuan Earthquake Could Not Have Been Induced by the Zipingpu Reservoir" by Kai Deng, Shiyong Zhou, Rui Wang, Russell Robinson, Cuiping Zhao, and Wanzheng Cheng
- Lyndsay Ball, Shemin Ge, Jonathan Saul Caine, André Revil, Abderrahim Jardani, 2010, Constraining fault-zone hydrogeology through integrated hydrological and geoelectrical analysis, Hydrogeology Journal, doi: 10.1007/s10040-010-0587-z
- Jiang, X.-W., X.-S. Wang, L. Wan, and S. Ge, 2011, An analytical study on stagnation points in nested flow systems in basins with depth-decaying hydraulic conductivity, Water Resources Research, doi:10.1029/2010WR009346.
- Xiao-Wei Jiang, Li Wan, M. Bayani Cardenas, Shemin Ge, Xu-Sheng Wang, 2010, Simultaneous rejuvenation and aging of groundwater in basins due to depth-decaying hydraulic conductivity and porosity, Geophysical Research Letters, VOL. 37, L05403, doi:10.1029/2010GL042387, 2010
- Liang, S., S. Ge, and L. Wan, 2010, Can climate change cause the Yellow River to dry up? Water Resources Research, doi:10.1029/2009WR007971.
- Ge, S., M. Liu, N. Lu, J. Godt, and G.Luo, 2009, Did the Zipingpu Reservoir Trigger the 2008 Wenchuan Earthquake? Journal of Geophysical Research Letters. 36, L20315, doi:10.1029/2009GL040349.
- Ge, S., Q.B. Wu, N. Lu, G. L. Jiang, and L Ball, 2008, Groundwater in the Tibet Plateau, western China, Geophysical Research Letters, 35, L18403, doi:10.1029/2008GL034809.
- Kahn, K., S. Ge, J. Caine, A. Manning, 2008, Characterization of the Shallow Groundwater System in an Alpine Watershed: Handcart Gulch, Colorado, Hydrogeology Journal, 16(1), doi: 10.1007/s10040-007-0225-6,
- Robertson, G., S. Ge, P. Cutillo, 2007, An investigation of regional tectonic strain on water levels in Devils Hole, Geophysical Research Letter, doi:10.1029/2007GL031630, 34, L23308.
- Screaton, E.J. and S. Ge, 2007, Modeling of the effects of propagating thrust slip on pore pressures and implications for monitoring, Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 258, 454–464
- Cutillo, P.A. and S. Ge, 2006, Analysis of strain-induced ground-water fluctuations at Devils Hole, Nevada, GeoFluids, 6, 319–333, doi: 10.1111/j.1468-8123.2006.00150.
- Cutillo, P.A., S. Ge, and E. Screaton, 2006, Hydrodynamic response of subduction zones to seismic activity: A case study for the Costa Rica Margin doi:10.1016/j.tecto.2006.02.017, Tectonophysics, 426, 167-187, doi:10.1016/j.tecto.2006.02.017
- Caine, J.S., Manning, A.H., Verplanck, P.L, Bove, D.J., Kahn, K.G., and Ge, S., 2006, Well Construction Information, Lithologic Logs, Water Level Data, and Overview of Research in Handcart Gulch, Colorado: An Alpine Watershed Affected by Metalliferous Hydrothermal Alteration: U.S. Geological Survey, Open-File Report 2006-1189.
- Ge, S. and E. Screaton, 2005, Modeling Seismically Induced Deformation and Fluid Flow in the Nankai Subduction Zone, Geophysical Research Letters, 32, L17301, doi:10.1029/2005GL023473, 2005
- Cutillo PA, E.J. Screaton, S. Ge, 2003, Three-dimensional numerical simulation of fluid flow and heat transport within the Barbados Ridge accretionary complex, Journal of Geophysical Research, 108 (B12), 2555, doi:10.1029/2002JB002240
- J. Marler and S. Ge, 2003, The Permeability of the Elkhorn Fault Zone: A case study from South Park, Colorado, Journal of Ground Water, 41(3), 321-332.
- Stover, C.S., S. Ge, and E. Screaton, 2003, A one-dimensional analytically-based approach for studying poroelastic and viscoplastic consolidation: application to Woodlark Basin, Papua New Guinea, Journal of Geophysical Research, 108(B9), 2448, doi: 10.1029/2001JB000466.
- S. Ge, B. Bekins, J.Bredehoeft, K. Brown, E.E. Davis, S.M. Gorelick, P. Henry, H. Kooi, A.F. Moench, C. Ruppel, M. Sauter, E. Screaton, P.K. Swart, T. Tokunaga, C.I. Voss, and F.Whitaker, 2003 (April 22), Fluid Flow in Sub-seafloor Processes and Future Ocean Drilling, EOS, 84(16), 145-152.
- S. Ge, 2002, Hydrology: ground and Surface Water, in Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Science, edited by J.R. Holton, J. Pyle, and J.A. Curry, volume 3, Academic Press.
- I.W. Yeo and S. Ge, 2001, Solute dispersion in rock fractures by non-Darcian flow, Geophysical Research Letters, 28(20), 3983-3986.
- Stover, C.S., S. Ge, P. Weimer, and B. McBride, 2001, The effects of salt evolution, structural development, and fault propagation on Late Mesozoic/Cenozoic oil migration: a two-dimensional fluid flow study along a megaregional profile in the northern Gulf of Mexico, Bulletin of American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 85(11), 1945-1966.
- Stover, S.C., P. Weimer, S. Ge, 2001, The effects of allochthonous salt evolution and overpressure development on source rock thermal maturation: a two-dimensional transient study in the northern Gulf of Mexico Basin, Petroleum Geosciences, 7, 281-290.
- Ge, S. and S.C. Stover, 2000, Hydrodynamic response to strike- and dip-slip faulting in a half-space, Journal of Geophysical Research, 105(B11), 25513 - 25524.
- Screaton, E. and S. Ge, 2000, Anomalously high porosities in the proto-decollement zone of the Barbados accretionary complex: Do they indicate overpressures? Geophysical Research Letters, 27(13), 1993-1996.
- Waite, M., S. Ge, and H. Spetzler, 1999, A new conceptual model for flow in discrete fractures: An experimental and numerical study, Journal of Geophysical Research, 104(B6), 13049 -13059.
- Hinds, J., S. Ge, and C. Fridrich, 1999, Numerical modeling of perched water under Yucca Mountain, Nevada, Journal of Ground Water, 37(4), 498-504.
- Ge, S., 1998, Estimation of groundwater velocity in fracture zones from well temperature profiles, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 84, 93-101.
- Waite, M., S. Ge, H. Spetzler, and D. Bahr, 1998, The effect of surface geometry on fracture permeability: a case study using a sinusoidal fracture, Geophysical Research Letters, 25(6), 813-816.
- Ge, S., 1998, A new analytical treatment of airflow to inlet wells in soil vapor extraction systems, Ground Water Monitoring and Remediation, 18(2), 133-136.
- Fridrich, C., S. Ge, and J. Sass, 1998, On the mechanism of the large hydraulic gradient under Yucca Mountain, Nevada, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report, 98-119.
- Ge, S., 1997, A governing equation for fluid flow in rough fractures, Water Resources Research, 33(1), 53-61.
- Screaton, E. and S. Ge, 1997, An Assessment of along-strike fluid flow and heat transport within Barbados accretionary complex: Results of Preliminary Modeling, Geophysical Research Letters, 24(23), 3085-3088.
- Ge, S. and N. Lu, 1996, A semianalytical solution of one-dimensional advective-dispersive solute transport under an arbitrary concentration boundary condition, Journal of Ground Water, 34(3), 501-503.
- Person, M., J. Raffensperger, S. Ge, and G. Garven, 1996, Basin-scale hydrological modeling, Review of Geophysics, 34(1), 61-78.
- Ge, S. and M. Liao, 1996, An analytical solution for airflow to inlet wells in vapor extraction systems under leaky conditions, Water Resources Research, 32(3), 743-748.
- Lu, N. and S. Ge, 1996, Effect of the horizontal heat and fluid flow on the vertical temperature distribution, Water Resources Research, 32(5), 1449-1453.
- Ge, S. and G. Garven, 1994, A theoretical model for thrust-induced deep groundwater expulsion with application to the Canadian Rocky Mountains, Journal of Geophysical Research, 99(B7), 13851-13868.
- Garven G., S. Ge, M.A. Person, and D.A. Sverjensky, 1993, Genesis of stratabound ore deposits in the Midcontinent basins of North America, 1. role of regional groundwater flow, American Journal of Science, 293 (6), 497-568.
- Ge, S. and G. Garven, 1992, Hydromechanical modeling of tectonically-driven groundwater flow with application to the Arkoma Foreland Basin, Journal of Geophysical Research, 97(B6), 9119-914
Current and Past Students
Ph.D. Graduate Students
Sarah Evans, (2013 - )
Matthew Weingarten (2010 - )
Lyndsay Ball, (2011) - Currently at the USGS, Denver
BS, Virginia Tech.
Dissertation: Hydrologic and Geophysical Characterization of Fault-Zone Permeability
Paula A. Cutillo, (2003) - Currently at the US National Park Service, Fort Collins
B.A., Boston University, M.S., Colorado State University
Dissertation: Fluid Flow and coupled processes at active margins: Case studies for The Barbados and Costa Rica subduction zones
S. Cheree' Stover, (2001) - Currently at BP, London
B.A., Harvard University; M.S., University of Washington
Dissertation: Assessment of historic fluid and thermal flow patterns in sedimentary basins; saturated flow modeling with focus on accretionary prisms; general channel response to catchment disturbances in fluvial systems.
Gordon N. McCurry, (2000) - Currently at Geomega, Boulder
B.S., Pennsylvania State University, M.S., West Virginia University
Dissertation: Modeling the Effects of Climate Change on the Hydrology and Water Rights of a Semi-arid Irrigated Watershed.
Miles E. Waite, (1998) - Currently at Waite Associates, Vermont
B.A., University of Vermont
Dissertation: Fluid Flow in Discrete Fractures: An Experimental and Lattice Gas Automata Modeling Study.
M.S. Graduate Students
Stephen Henning, (2014 - )
Nora Catolico, (2013 - )
Nadine Reitman, (2012) - Currently at USGS, Golden
Thesis: Groundwater flow and its effect on salt dissolution in Gypsum Canyon Watershed, Paradox Basin, Southeast Utah
Jessica Cochrane, (2011)
Thesis: Climate change on groundwater recharge
Miori Yoshino, (2011) - Currently at Schlumberger, Denver
BA, University of Colorado
Thesis: Hydrogeological Characterization of a Proposed Uranium In-Situ Recovery Mine Site, a Case Study in Weld County, Colorado
Brent Aigler, (2010)
BS, Colby College
Thesis: Hydrogeological Analysis of a Mountainous Groundwater System: Fraser River Watershed, Grand County, Colorado
Kenneth Babcock, (2007) - Currently at Exxon-Mobil, Houston
BS, Lafayette College
Thesis: Shallow Alluvial Aquifer Ground Water System and Surface Water/Ground Water Interaction Along The Boulder Creek, Boulder, Colorado
Gregory Robertson, (2006) - Currently at Exxon-Mobil, Houston
B.S. University of Colorado
Thesis: An Investigation of Tectonic Deformation on Water Levels in Devils Hole, Death Valley National Park, Nevada
Katherine G. Kahn, (2005)
B.S. College of Charleston
Thesis: Analysis of the Shallow Groundwater System in an Alpine Basin: Handcart Gulch, Colorado.
Steven M. Shultz, (2001)
B.A., Dartmouth College
Thesis: Groundwater Flow in the French Creek Basin, Southwest Colorado.
Stephanie A. Tomusiak, (2001) - Currently at Geomega, Boulder
B.A., Washington University
Thesis: Hydrogeologic Parameterization of a Fractured Crystalline Aquifer Utilizing Field Data and Discrete Network Modeling Approach.
David Kinner, (2000) - Currently at Western Carolina University
B.A., Amherst College
Thesis: Hydrology of Tropical Catchments with Variable Topography and Land Use: an Application of Topmodel
John C. Marler, (1999)
B.S., Vanderbilt University
Thesis: The Impact of the Elkhorn fault on the Hydrogeology of the South ark Region, Park County, Colorado.
Jeffrey B. Bails, (1998) - Currently at USGS, Denver
B.S., University of California - Santa Cruz
Thesis: Water-quality Characteristics and Mass-balance Modeling of the French Gulch Drainage, Breckenridge, Colorado
Jennifer J. Hinds, (1997) - Currently at University of Idaho
B.S., University of Tennessee
Thesis: Numerical Studies of Perched Groundwater at Yucca Mountain, Nevada
Andrew Horn (1997) - Currently at Westwater Hydrology, LLC
Minru Liao (1996)
Barbara Breuer (1994)
Undergraduate Honors Thesis
Christina Johnson (2011)
Angela Cook (2006)
Jacob Bauer (2005)
Visiting Scientists, Postdoctoral Associates
Yaolin Shi, 1996, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Elizabeth Screaton, 1996-1997, University of Florida
In-Wook Yeo, 2001 and 2010, Chonnam National University
Sihai Liang, 2009, China University of Geosciences-Beijing
Zhi Wen, 2009-2010, Chinese Academy of Sciences -Lanzhou
Yamin Deng, 2009-2010, China University of Geosciences-Wuhan
Jin-Yong Lee, 2014- , Kangwon National University
Woo-Hyon Jeon, 2014- , Kangwon National University