Campus Transitioning Guide

Navigating Campus Life & Resources

Campus in General

Where are gender-neutral bathrooms?

For finding single-stall restrooms, please reference the Unisex & Gender-Neutral Restroom spreadsheet (Excel). Note that this reference list is an older version, circa 2005, and is currently in the process of being updated for newer buildings and building changes.

There are two multi-stall, all-gender restrooms on campus. The first, built in 2009, is located on the Spectrum floor in Hallett Hall, a residence hall. This is not for public use, only residents of Hallett and their guests. The second multi-stall all-gender restroom is in the Center for Community (C4C) on the fourth floor.

Who do I talk to if I have faced discrimination or harassment?

Please visit the Helpful Tips & Problem Solving page for a list of resources.

What do I do if I came out to my parents and they cut off contact or support?

This is an unfortunate reality for a number of GLBTQ students. The Resource Center is here to support you in whatever way we can. If you would like someone to talk to more in depth, we recommend Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS).

If you are worried about a loss of financial support, the Office of Financial Aid has the option of a Professional Judgement Appeal. This appeal process is an application to be independent of your parents and is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. More information can be found at the Financial Aid website, or by visiting their office in Regent 175. Financial Aid Officer Freddy Burciaga (email: has said he can help trans-identified and transitioning students who find themselves needing to go through this process, or with any other needs in Financial Aid.

On-Campus Employment & Work-Study

Can I be out and hold a job on campus?

CU has a non-discrimination policy which includes gender identity and gender expression; you can read the full nondiscrimination policy here. We will be writing up a fact sheet soon that details the policy and its recent changes to include gender identity and gender expression, so please check back soon if you have any questions about the policy.

Where are friendly places to work?

Levels of friendliness are highly relative, personal, and subjective, and therefore look differently to different people. If finding an on-campus employer with knowledge of trans issues is a priority for you, then it's worth noting that there are many individuals on campus who have gone through the GLBTQRC Safe Zone Training and have joined the Safe Zone Ally Network. These individuals may display their Safe Zone Ally Network Member signs as an indicator that they have completed this training and have pledged their commitment to supporting GLBTQ people. Even for those people, however, safety or in-depth knowledge of trans issues is not guaranteed since, like with all things, learning is a continual process and does not stop with one training.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns on this matter, and remember that should you ever feel discriminated against in your workplace that there are safe and understanding options to report discrimination and harassment.

On-Campus Housing

We are still awaiting responses from Housing to common questions. Please contact us with any questions you may have in the meantime.

Are there any GLBTQ halls? What about all gender housing?

There is a GLBTQIA floor in Hallett Hall called Spectrum, which provides a safer space for GLBTQ students and their allies, as well as programming as part of the Hallett Diversity Program.

Wardenburg Health Center

Who can I see at Wardenburg if I get sick?

It's unfortunately not uncommon that trans-identifying and transitioning people have negative experiences with healthcare providers that don't have experience with trans lives and trans bodies, so going to the doctor when sick can understandably be a scary situation for some trans people. To help alleviate the discomfort that some trans-identifying and transitioning students may feel, Wardenburg Health Center has sent us this list of providers who have experience with trans people and are willing and able to see trans patients. This is not to say that other providers do not have experience with trans patients, rather that only these providers explicitly expressed interest in being included in this guide.
  • Psychological Health and Psychiatry (PHP):
    • Sabrina Neu, PsyD (Psychologist)
    • Hans Foote, PhD (Psychologist)
    • Jean-Marc Wong, MD (Psychiatrist)
  • Medical Clinic:
    • Pam Talley, MD
    • Nancy McElwain, MD
  • Women’s Clinic:
    • Ann Mattson, MD
Keep in mind that while Wardenburg is open to all students, there may be costs at Wardenburg if you opted out of a health plan for the year.

Athletics & Rec Center

Are there locker rooms at the Rec Center that I can use?

Yes! There is currently one unisex locker room, located by the east entrance to the men's locker room. Inside the unisex locker room is one space which includes a shower, sink, toilet, and lockers; be forewarned that you will not have access to the lockers in the unisex locker room if someone else is using it.

Can I participate in CU athletics?

Athletics and trans-identifying or transitioning individuals is still a relatively unexplored frontier. Most sports have policies that vary depending on the national organization's policies for that sport or division.

If you are interested in participating in club sports please contact the directors, Patricia McConnell (email: and Kris Schoech (email:

Social Organiztions & Non-GLBTQIA Specific Student Life

Can I join Greek life?

Trans-identifying and transitioning students can be found in all areas of campus, including Greek life. While there is no known statistical information on trans students in Greek life, there are several options available to those wishing to pursue this aspect of college life.

  • Traditional Fraternities and Sororities
    While we are still awaiting a response from the office which works with Greeks, so in the meantime if you are interested in Greek life please contact the specific organization or chapter you are interested in. There are various organizations with chapters at CU that have had trans-identified or transitioning members.

  • Multicultural Greeks
    While many multicultural Greek organizations are single sex, some have sibling chapters or are coed. While we are still awaiting more information from the office which works with Greek life, please contact the specific organization or chapter you are interested in for more information.

  • Co-ed Greek Letter Societies
    Another option for trans identifying and transitioning students is to join a co-ed Greek Letter organization. Some of these organizations may be honor societies tied to an academic department, and others may be completely unique social or service organizations as developed and involved as traditional fraternities and sororities.

    Because there is not yet a list of all co-ed societies using Greek letters, the best way to find one is to search through the SOFO Student Group Directory.

For more information on the intersections of Greek life and trans identities in general, check out this resource guide from the Lambda 10 Project.

Are there any religious or (non)belief-related student organizations that are trans friendly?

Indeed! The following student ministries and organizations have replied to us indicating that they are GLBTQ affirming or otherwise supportive of GLBTQ folks. While these organizations have taken steps to be more inclusive of GLBTQIA people, they might not have direct experience with trans-identifying or transitioning folks. This list is not to say that other organizations are not inclusive, rather that only these ones explicitly expressed interest in being included in this guide.