Lee J. Alston
Economic History • Economic Development • Political Economy • Environmental Economics • New Institutional Economics
Current Research Interests:
Research interests focus on the political economy of Latin America and the U.S., and issues of agricultural contracting in the United State and Latin America.
• Director, Institute of Behavioral Science, Institutions Program
• Research Associate at the NBER
• International Society for the New Institutional Economics
• Economic History Association
• The Cliometrics Association
• Center on Peace and Liberty, The Independent Institute
PhD–University of Washington
MA–University of Washington
BA–Indiana University, with distinction
PhD, University of Washington, 1978, is a professor whose current research interests focus on agricultural tenancy in the historical United States and present day Latin America. Alston is also engaged in analyzing the political institutions and resulting policy outcomes in Brazil.