SOLID SPILL PROCEDURES
- Use appropriate personal protective clothing and equipment, including
gloves, lab coat, etc. For some radionuclides, a survey instrument may
be helpful in narrowing down areas of contamination.
- Pick up the solid item(s)
- Place in an appropriate radioactive waste container
- Use a decontamination solution (such as RadiacWash or IsoClean) or
a strong detergent to clean up the spill with paper towels.
- When wiping the area with the paper towels, be sure to wipe from the
outside to inside in order to prevent spreading the contamination.
- Dispose of all clean-up materials in an appropriate radioactive waste
- Take a wipe smear survey of the area to be sure it is clean. If it
is significantly above background, repeat cleaning process.
- Record all wipe smear results in the laboratory's Radiation Survey
Logbook. Please refer to the Radiation Survey chapter for further information.
M Appendix O