1. Use a decontamination solution (such as RadiacWash or IsoClean) or a strong detergent to clean up the area with paper towels. For some radionuclides, a portable survey instrument may be helpful in narrowing down areas of contamination.
2. When wiping the area with the paper towels, be sure to wipe from the outside to inside in order to prevent spreading the contamination.
3. Dispose of all clean-up materials in an appropriate radioactive waste container.
4. Take a wipe smear survey of the area to be sure it is clean. If it is twice background, repeat cleaning process.
5. Record all wipe smear results in the laboratory’s Radiation Safety Survey Log.
Table of Contents
Appendix E Appendix G