Hungo Pavi, "Reed Spring Village," was a medium-sized pueblo at the junction of Chaco and Mockingbird Canyons. It may have reached four stories tall and contained 73 ground-floor rooms and two kivas. Its eastern orientation gave it a direct line of sight to Fajada Butte.
Tree-ring dating has shown that Hungo Pavi was built around 943 to 1047 A.D. It lies at the base of a prehistoric stairway which leads up the mesa to a wide ancient road that links to the far-reaching Chacoan road system.
Return to Map