If you prefer you may also DOWNLOAD a PDF version of the complete 45-page document.
The Boulder Campus Division of Academic Affairs adopted this document as official policy on January 16, 2013.
Professional Rights and Duties of Faculty Members and Professional Duties of Department Chairs
PART I. PROFESSIONAL RIGHTS OF FACULTY MEMBERS
In support of the University's academic mission as an institution of higher learning, a major responsibility of the Administration is to protect and encourage the faculty in its teaching, learning, research, and public service activities. The authority to discipline faculty members in appropriate cases derives from the shared recognition by the faculty and the Administration that the purpose of discipline is to preserve conditions hospitable to these pursuits. Such conditions, as they relate to faculty, include, for example, the following:
1. the right to free inquiry, and exchange of ideas;
2. the right to present relevant information, however controversial, to a course of instruction;
3. the right to conduct scholarly research or creative work, no matter how controversial;
4. the right to enjoyment of constitutionally protected freedom of expression;
5. the right to share in the governance of the University, as provided in the Laws of the Regents and the laws of the State of Colorado, and in policies and procedures of the University and the University Senate, of the Boulder Campus and the Boulder Faculty Assembly, and of the schools, colleges, departments and other academic units, including the following:
Faculty rights may derive from such diverse sources as the Constitution and laws of the United States or of the State of Colorado; from the Laws of the Regents and University, Boulder Campus, and other academic unit policies; from faculty and other contracts; and from shared understandings and customs of the academic community. The statement of professional rights of faculty members set forth in this Part I is intended neither to be exhaustive nor to limit faculty rights in any manner.
PART II. PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES, ETHICAL PRINCIPLES, AND FACULTY CONDUCT [ pp 8 through 17 ]
PART III. ROLES AND PROFESSIONAL DUTIES OF DEPARTMENT CHAIRS [ pp 18 - 23 ]
PART V. APPENDICES [ pp 34 - 45 ]
Amendments to Professional Rights and Duties of Faculty Members and Roles and Responsibilities of Department Chairs may be initiated by the Boulder Faculty Assembly, the Provost, the Associate Vice Chancellor for Faculty Affairs, or the Chair of the Boulder Faculty Assembly. Amendments require the approval of the Provost.
303-492-5606, Campus Box 428, Boulder, CO, 80309
© Regents of the University of Colorado