University of Colorado at Boulder CU-Boulder Home CU-Boulder Search CU-Boulder A to Z Campus Map


External Fellowships and Grants

Most of the fellowships and grants listed on this page offer semester-long or year-long paid research leaves. There are many other fellowships and grants that pay for short-term stays or travel, but only a few of these are included here. For ease of use, we have divided the fellowships and grants into those suitable for humanities faculty, and those suitable for arts faculty. In some cases, fellowships and grants are suitable for faculty from both humanities and arts.

External grants are highly competitive. Applicants are encouraged to plan ahead in order to coordinate their applications with upcoming sabbatical leaves. Some granting agencies require such coordination as a condition of application.

There are two major kinds of research fellowships and grants: portable and residential.

Portable grants can be used anywhere. For many faculty members, these are the most desirable grants.

Residential grants require the winner to reside temporarily at the granting agency’s specified site. Although intrinsically desirable, faculty members with local family obligations sometimes find it difficult to accept residential grants.

Important Note: In many cases, funds provided by external fellowships and grants do not cover the salaries and benefits of winners. CU-Boulder’s College of Arts and Sciences will provide salary/benefits subvention only for the most prestigious fellowships and grants, including ACLS, Fulbright, Guggenheim, and NEH fellowships, and the Rome Prize. For further information, please consult A&S Dean’s Salary Subvention Policy, which can be found at the following site: