The Atlantic Charter and the Larger Goals
of World War II (1941)
1. Support and respect the rights of all
people to choose the form of government under which they will live.
2. Support an end to colonial rule and
imperialism, and work towards the restoration "of sovereign rights and
self-government...to those who have been forcibly denied them."
3. Support global free trade and give
all peoples "equal access, on equal terms, to the trade and...raw
materials of the world."
4. Support economic cooperation
between all nations "with the object of securing...improved labor
standards, economic advancements, and social security."
5. Support the creation of the United
Nations, a global body that would protect the peace and sovereign rights of
all nations to freedom, self-government, and security.